after effects

Beep.

Beep.

  The sound of a heart monitor caused me to open up my eyes, the light seeming blinding.
"Agh, my he-"
"VINCENT!"

  I looked up to see my friend, Darryl, rushing towards me. He squeezed me into a tight hug, quickly starting to sob.

"VINCE- Y-YOU'RE ALIVE. YOU'RE HERE!" he tightened the hug, causing my whole body to scream in protest.

  I didn't care though, I'm here. I'm home, after that whole chaotic journey. He grabbed at my hand, slipping it into his letting out a sigh of relief. "Okay- I can't.. breath..
"
He back away, seemingly guilty. He rubbed his head, letting out a chuckle. "Sorry- I just.. you're here. You're alive, you're awake.."
Again, he teared up with a smile on his face. "Let me go call Zak, right now."

With that he left the room, leaving me alone to my thoughts.
I'm really here. I did it.

- - - - - - - - - -

The next few weeks were hectic. In and out of the hospital, medication, bandages. I had to get crutches because of a broken ankle, bandages all over me. Luckily, it was all temporary and there was no longterm damage.
  At least, that's what they thought at first.

- - - - - - - - - -

I can feel it's hands wrap around my neck once again, it's hot breath agaisnt my neck, staring down at me intensely with it's burning eyes.

The screams of my friend in the background, begging, pleading for help.
But I can never help him.
"Vincent! VINCENT!"
I want to run over to help him, to save him. To take his place anything, but the monster just continues to keep it's arms around my neck.

My vision started to blur, sounds becoming muffled.
No, no. Not this again, please.

"VINCE.."

I can feel my heartbeat in my head, pulsing through my veins all the way down to my feet.
Please.
Let.
Me.
Go.

"DON'T LET ME GO!"

- - - - - - - - - -

I shot up from my bed, hot sweat rolling down my whole shaking body.
"Techo, no.. I'm sorry!" I screamed out, grasping my head with my hands. "I'M SORRY, I'M SORRY, I-"
The door swung open, causing me to jump under my blankets.
"NO!"

"Vince!" my friend, Zak's voice rang through the room, bringing me more to my senses.
He rushed over to my bedside, pulling me into his arms. "Vince, look at me."

His face was directed mine, my vision blurry from the tears stinging my eyes.
"Breath with me. In for four, hold for seven. Let it out." he let his own breathes become louder, letting me match mine with his.

After a few moments I could see properly again. I hadn't even processed he really came in & was beside me now, staring at me with his dark orbs.
"Sorry for waking you up." my voice was scratchy from the yelling I'd done over the past few nights. Ever since I came home from the hospital, Dave's death settling in, it was like this.

"Don't be, now go back to sleep. I'll stay in the room with you, if you want."
I nodded, words unable to come out at this point. It was already embarrassing for this to happen, but it became far worse whenever one of my two friends would ask why this was happening.

I could never explain to them what really happened. I'm not insane, they can't think that of me.
I layed back down, staring at my tanned friend who stared right back at me, a look of sadness washing over him.
"You know, we can get you therapy. Right?"

"No, I'm okay."

He remained silence, letting the darkness take over my world.

I'm not crazy.

Right?