XXIV - wave one

XXIV - wave one

Aah, face to face
once again
My head spins 'round
'til the end
Tell me, "hero",
is this what you call a friend?

"When's your next sacrifice?"

By 6:30AM the next day we were outside, standing near the edge of the waves.

The lady - who's named was Rachel, we learned - had let us stay at her house in the night time, giving me a chance to talk to Mega about my decision.

Somehow, I had managed to convince him to let me out onto the waves.

Rachel rested a hand on my shoulder, looking out at the water.
"They should be here in a second."

The three of us sat in silence. I could feel the burning eyes of people walking around the streets behind us, most likely feeling sorry, sorry that I was the sacrifice; but confused. The word had gotten around I had opted to be a sacrifice, something one had not done in two decades. The last person ended like the rest, never to be found.

This time would be different.

Squinting, I strained my eyes out over the water, spotting a large wave coming our way. It stood out against the blue ocean, the water being more darker with a tint of grey.

"It's coming."

Rachel grabbed Mega's hand, muttering to him. They stepped back, out closer to the streets.

The wave came quickly, standing up as if it was a tsunami, but never went over the sand. I took a deep breath, stepping closer.
The wave crashed down onto my head, the pain from the force minor.

I could feel myself being pulled away from Mega & Rachel, looking over my shoulder to see them through the very little clearness of the water.

Turning back forwards, I resisted the urge to run away, feeling the warm air now cool, sending shivers down my body.
Everything was mostly calm. It's as if I was in this bubble, hidden away from the world, watching the ocean fly by as the wave held me up, carrying me further & further away from the island.

It only started to slow down after 15 minutes, the wave bringing me up to the top of it, then lowering down onto the sand of an island - the same sand that I was on 15 minutes before.

Rachel & Mega were there, both with smiles on their faces, coming up to me.

I'm.. back?!

"How was your trip, Vincent?" Rachel grabbed hold of my arm, bringing me towards the stone sidewalk that lead to the town, Mega trailing behind.

Vincent?

I had told Rachel my name was A6d, but never mentioned that my real name was Vincent. 

So, this has to mean..

Wave one.

I let the fake Rachel & Mega lead me to the town square, where nobody was to be seen.

"Where is everyone?"