XVIII - no longer foe

Hold my hand, it's okay
I'll help you to màke it through all way
I well help you to fight
all throughout the night
don't worry, it's okay.
We're okay.

A crack from behind me snapped me out of the gaze I was stuck in. My eyes fell onto Clay, now starting to sit down beside me. He threw his legs over the ledge of rocks, like mine.

"Are things not going well with Dave?"

"You startled me."

I sat up a bit more, but my posture still remained sluggish from exhaustion.

"Sorry," he murmured, "but it's unsafe to be out here. You almost over the edge like this, I almost thought.."
His words trailed off, but I knew what he meant.
"Plus, who knows what's out here."

"I do," I wanted to say, "Fallen is like my second home, regardless of my hatred towards the game."

"He told me things I already knew well. I wish that these things weren't. I'm sure that you know what I'm speaking of."

Nodding, he looked down into the pool of hell.

"I don't know what it's like to watch your friend die before your eyes," his voice was now a monotone, "and I don't wish to. You need to accept that no matter what, he won't be back forever. He wants to, but he can't. You do realize, after this all, nothing will be the same again?"

He stared my dead on, as if he was looking through my soul. Unintentionally, piercing it with his words.
It was no doubt, everybody knew he had his way with his words.

"We have all disappeared without a trace in the real world. The deaths that have been occuring - and still are, by the way - are not helping our case. Not every one of us is innocent, either. They have a right to take us in. Hell, for all we know, they could have found out it was George and I already. We'll be exposed. If they find out about here. What will happen to you all?" he gestured to the small cabin, now a dim light lit, visible through the window.
"Questioned. Framed. Sent to an asylum. Tested on. Really, what are we to say? If they find the orbs, it's game over. Literally. You are the one in control, the leader of us. That is not changing, whether you wish to be or not."

His expression now hard as a rock, he looked away at the cabin.
I knew already he was deep in thought, too deep in thought.

"I'm sorry," I muttered, my voice a horase whisper now, "I'm sorry. I know I'm not the only one who lost someone, but I'm the only one being fed off false hope. Everyday I have to see him, everyday I am trapped in my own thoughts while we travel around aimlessly. And you're right, I should be leading."

I brought my knees close to my chest, barrying my head in my arm's shelter. The overwhelming urge to jump off then & there filled my head, screaming at me un a constant.
All to no end.

I was going on vacation with my two best friends

Our car faultered, crashed, & I was stuck in a coma.
Transported into a new world with no knowledge of what the future would hold, I unknowingly saved Zak from a static monster. I gained self awareness through an exception, gaining friendship with an alternate versions of my friends. I was gassed & kidnapped by God who knows what or why, & escaped just to meet Clay & Dave. Dave & I became friends due to our similar situations, the mutual self awareness. We theorized about the monster, met Mx, started training & made Darryl get kidnapped by the main villain. We met this monster, planned to fight it, together. Darryl shot an arrow, one that would lead to my death. Dave jumped in the way, taking the blow because I was distracted.

All of this because I can't lead.

I thought things were bad then.

But, now?

Clay had his arms around me, keeping me close to him. The warmth was sudden, as if I had dissociated. It was only when I found the grey sheets around me I realized I was in his bed while he went to retrieve something.

Looking over my friends, I didn't doubt one of them was awake, wanting to open their eyes to see what was going on. Of course, they couldn't.

In what seemed like a second, Clay returned with the first aid kit & a roll of gauze bandages.

"You hit your head pretty hard." he explained, grabbing a bandage & unwraveling it. I hadn't felt anything until he moved the pillow to adjust my head position.

"Fuc-" I covered my mouth with my hand, scanning the room over to see if I had awoken anyone. To my fortune, I hadn't done so.

Clay moved my bandana up, making room to wrap the bandage around. I held my breath as he did his work, trying not to break under the physical pain, & embarrassment.

Once he layed my head back down on the pillow, he went to sit up.

"Wait-" I grabbed at his hand, the sudden movement making everything seem like there was a hundred of it. Wincing, I managed to ignore the familiar pain beating at my head.
"Don't go, please?"

His intense expression faded from before, softening. A sad smile spread over his face as he sat down on the bed near my legs.

"What is it?"

I fought the urge to let the sudden wave of exhaustion take over me, eyelids drooping.

"I'll fix this. We'll find George, bri.."

I couldn't finish my sentence.
The last sight I saw was Clay sitting up, resting his hand on my own.

The darkness took over, but this time not intensely.
Things didn't stop as they usually would. Instead, my vision brightened.

The silence was replaced with the sound of wind, followed by the peaceful flowing of water beneath me.
The world came into view.

I stood on a stone bridge, cobble patterns & moss running all along. Runes ran up the pillars that formed a small roof overhead, a hole shaped as a water droplet above.
Around me stood bright, in season sakura trees, flowing in the wind.

Petals flew all around, birds swooping alongside them.

Am I dead?

I looked down to the creek. So unfamiliarly, the water was crystal clear, hints of striking blue around it all. Small koi fish swam around, water bugs dancing around the surface.

Petals fell into the pond, both light & dark.

For the first time in a long while, I felt as rest with my own company. I sat down, looking all around again, over & over.

If I could stay here forever..

"I promise you, this won't be the only time I see you," I told the world, as if it could hear me.

The bridge lead down a pathway, all clear except for the dozens of petals swirling around in the wind blocking my vision to where it lead.

I rather not know, anyways. I decided.

For once I didn't want the weight of the world down on my shoudlers. Here, I got my freedom. What I deserve, even just for a little bit.