s i x

nova's pov :

i stare at the shoes that were behind the glass window and sigh.

"this is it nova." i tell myself

i've been counting the money since ethan and i fought because i was paranoid on whether or not i got the right amount.

feeling satisfied, my feet carry me into the wealthy store and i smile at the workers there. my eyes immediately find the shoes and i grab them, walking over to the cash register.

"h-hi i'd like to buy these."

i give her the shoes and whip out my stack of money. i pray that nothing changed while i collected my money. no increase in charge, nothing added, just everything is the same as it was.

"eight hundred dollars please."

i sigh a breath of relief and i hand her the money. watching her count it in front of me made my anxiety spike up. i watched as she mouthed the amount of money and she finally got to 800 and smiled up at me, making me smile back.

"so, why such expensive shoes?" she asks

"definitely not for me." i laugh

she laughs with me and then hands me a bag with the shoes in them.

"for my best friend." i grab the bag and smile

"eight hundred dollars for a best friend sweetie?" she asks

i nod shyly and my cheeks flush red.

"are you sure it's nothing more." she smirks

"h-he has a girlfriend and she's great so..."

"that shouldn't stop you from telling him the truth. you're gonna regret not telling him."

i nod my head slowly and then say goodbye, fast walking out of the store.

i just needed to get out of there asap. i can't hear one more person tell me i should be telling ethan the truth.

"did you get it." perla nudges me

"yes perla, i did." i laugh

"aren't you supposed to be with ethan? you would be long gone by now. he always sneaks into your room when it's 12 am and then you guys go out right? i mean it is sunday."

i keep wrapping the shoe box with the christmas wrapping paper and swallow hard.

"god. did he ditch you again?" she asks

i nod my head and she scoffs.

"i'm so sorry, nova." she sadly smiles

"it's fine i guess. i don't even know how it's going to be tomorrow, when our families meet up."

"you got this. you know, i'm a call away." she smiles

"i know you are." i grin

"nova!" mom yells

i look at perla and we both run downstairs to mom carrying bags of groceries in her hands.

"woah mom. why this much food?"

"you shouldn't even be asking by now, nov. you know lisa and i meet during christmas eve, cook, and then we all eat together."

"oh right." i scratch my head

"but lisa said ethan isn't joining us this year. weird right? isn't he supposed to be here right now. it's sunday."

i look down and shuffle my feet, rocking side to side.

"honey, did something happen?" mom asks

"hey mrs. willows, i can take those bags from you and put them all away." perla offers

"oh no honey, it's alright. i have to go to lisa's right now actually. i just stopped by to let you girls know where i'm going. i don't even know why i brought these groceries in." she laughs

i smile and mom sadly smiles back to me.

"call me if you need anything ok?" she places a hand onto my shoulder and kisses my cheek

she waves goodbye to perla i and leaves out the front door, leaving perla and i home alone once again.

"wanna watch home alone?" perla picks up the tv remote

i grin and jump onto the couch, with her joining next to me.