f i f t y - f o u r

nova's pov (present) :

"it's like anywhere i went, he went."

"i'm mean... he was obsessed with you." ethan chuckles

perla punches his arm and sends him a glare, making him laugh even harder. grayson stuffs his mouth with food, laughing along and i stare out the window, listening to their conversation and slightly smiling.

perla gasps and slams her hands on the table, jumping up and down, grabbing my attention. i spin around seeing tyler and a little boy next to him.

the little boy claps and points at the table he wants to sit at and tyler laughs, picking him up on his shoulders and bringing him over.

"can we go there? please!" perla encourages

i look up at grayson in desperation for help but he shrugs his shoulders, nodding and motioning his head for me to go on. i sigh deeply and look up at ethan. he stares at his phone and chuckles at the texts he's getting and types away.

"did you even hear our conversation?" grayson asks

he doesn't answer and shuts off his phone, sliding it over to me across the marble table.

"don't give it back to me until tomorrow. i'm addicted to that object." he snickers

perla rolls her eyes and whispers a quiet 'finally.' ethan gasps in shock and slaps her arm but not too hard.

"meanie." perla pouts

"who are we talking about?" ethan asks, slurping his coke

"tyler." grayson smirks

"ohhhh, basic boy." ethan laughs

i send him a glare with a slight smile and he laughs even more, earning laughs from perla and grayson.

third person's pov :

nova turns back around, staring at the little boy and his brother and something catches her eye.

"guys! look!" she shouts in excitement

not hearing any response, she grabs onto a hand and rubs it, trying to get their attention.

a deep voice, clears their throat and nova blushes quickly, realizing it's her best friend but his hand doesn't move. he let's it stay there and he intertwines his warm fingers with her cold ones.

she covers her hand up to her mouth and shouts dramatically into it, extatic about what's happening. perla turns around to look at nova, hearing her small scream and diverts her eyes to the two intertwining hands and turns back around with her jaw hanging wide open. grayson chuckles to himself, staring at the two's intertwined hands.

"nova?"

ethan's hand diverts away from nova and she looks down at her hand, alone on the table. ethan shuffles in his seat and crosses his arms across his chest, acting like nothing happened.

trying to forget what happened, nova turns around and gives tyler a sad smile.

"hi." she quietly whispers

"what are you doing here?" he asks, chuckling slightly

"just with my friends." she chuckles and points back at her table, assuming her friends are waving back

"i'm with my little brother." he points back at his table

the little boy shyly waves and nova chuckles, waving back.

"wanna join us?" tyler asks

nova turns back at her friends and grayson and perla nod, encouraging her. she looks up at her best friend and he plays with his 'n' bracelet, upset. her smile turns into a frown and she turns back around to face the boy.

"i'm ok. but it was very nice seeing you today." she smiles

he nods, backing up, smiling, and waving away the four friends away.