s i x t y - s e v e n

nova's pov :

"you've been treating me like shit alison! absolute shit! i can't do it anymore. i just can't."

grayson slurps his coffee and his eyes widen. he hisses once he sets his coffee down on the table and shakes his head.

"sounds like a lot, doesn't it?" he teases

i hit him on his arm and shake my head.

"gray, this is serious." i raise my eyebrows

he sighs but nods his head slightly, agreeing with me.

suddenly, i hear heavy, loud footsteps running down the stairs. i quickly turn around seeing alison running down with mascara running down her cheeks. she smiles sadly at grayson and i and slides on her shoes as fast as she can, running out the front door.

ethan runs down when he hears the door shut and he rubs his temples, trying to calm himself down.

"she treated me like shit." ethan sighs

i look at grayson with furrowed eyebrows, unsure about ethan's statement. he looks at me the same way and motions for me to say something about ethan's sudden statement.

"h-how?"

ethan quickly meets eye contact with me, furrowing his eyebrows.

"i-i mean like... how did she treat you so badly?" i correct myself

"she only dated me to show herself off. and she treated me like such... shit." ethan's jaw clenches

"and... why didn't you tell us before?" perla asks, coming out the kitchen with two mugs in her hand

she hands a mug to ethan and sits down next to him, wrapping herself in a blanket on the side on the couch.

"you guys hated her. i didn't wanna make you hate her even more."

"but we had the right to hate her then." grayson smirks

i roll my eyes at grayson's remark and chuckle slightly.

grayson and perla's attention quickly goes back to the t.v. but my eyes remain on ethan, noticing how weird he's acting.

he plays with his mug handle and bits his lip in anticipation; looking up and down from his mug to the t.v. his hand comes up to his messy hair from time to time, tugging on it and hissing when he pulls too hard.

"e."

i point to the stairs and he nods his head, immediately setting down his mug and running upstairs. my suspicions increase and grayson and perla also stare at ethan as he runs up the stairs.

"what's up with him?" perla asks

"no clue." i admit

i wave them off and run upstairs, into ethan's dark room. a wave of vanilla and laundry drying sheets hits my nose and i smile at the familiar scent.

"ethan?" i whisper

he comes out of the bathroom with him hugging himself, clutching onto his sweatshirt but runs to me when he meets my eyes.

"she treated me so badly nova." he breaths

my voice and face softens seeing him so fragile and scared.

"ethan. why didn't you tell me anything?"

"we kept falling off and on n. i was too scared to mess up our friendship again." he stares at me with glossy eyes

"you've been so sensitive. did she do this to you?" i ask

he nods slowly, guilty of admitting the truth.

my eyes get teary seeing him so broken and fragile. i hug him immediately and he hugs back, clutching onto my shirt.

"she messed me up... mentally." he murmurs into my shoulder

"she kept telling me i didn't make anyone i loved, proud or that i didn't meet up to her expectations. nova i-i couldn't do it anymore." his voice cracks

i guide him to his bed and his knees bend, falling back on the bed, with me next to him. i back up to the headboard and set his head on my lap, running my hands through his soft hair. he smiles and sighs in satisfaction. he wraps his arms around my waist like before and starts drifting off to sleep.

"i love you n."

"... love you too e."