t h i r t y - n i n e

nova's pov :

tyler gives me a silly wink when i walk out with ethan, perla, grayson, and alison. i laugh to myself and push the door open, feeling the hot and cool breeze hit me.

"the weather is so nice here." perla closes her eyes

ethan walks up to her while she has her eyes closed and tickles her stomach, making her jump back and hit his arm.

"ethan!" she scolds

he laughs and runs away before she can do anything. alison chuckles and runs up to catch to ethan. i watch as ethan grabs onto her hand when she catches up but i shake my head, trying not to feel anything.

"you gotta date." grayson nudges me

i laugh and perla nudges me on my other shoulder.

"when is he taking you out?" grayson asks

"i have to text him to know the details."

"oh my god, the karaoke bar!" perla shouts

she runs after ethan and grayson and i laugh, watching ethan groan in annoyance and perla tugging on his shirt, begging to go.

"ok! ok! fine!" he yells

her hands rise up and she waves them around, hugging ethan. ethan laughs and hugs her back but slaps her arm gently, after pulling back.

"don't annoy me anymore." he points

she nods and opens up his door, letting him in. ethan shakes his head and laughs, going into the car.

"you got what you wanted! you don't have to act like this anymore!"

perla rolls her eyes and shuts the door, once he's buckled and i see ethan laughing hysterically in the car.

"look! look at how pretty the lights are!"

i look at the bright purple neon sign saying "KARAOKE BAR," that catches everyone's attention.

perla grabs my hand and runs inside with everyone else trailing behind us.

once i walk in, i get hit with a big whiff of alcohol and my nose scrunches up in disgust.

"i'm not drinking." i immediately state

perla groans in annoyance and shakes my hand, still holding it.

"why not?" she pouts

ethan, grayson, and alison walk into the karaoke bar and i see grayson hold onto his nose, not used to the smell either. i laugh at him and he glares at me, giving me the middle finger.

"ethan! tell your best friend to drink and live for once." perla tugs on my hands

"i don't have control over her perla. she's my best friend but she is her own person." ethan smirks

perla shouts in frustration and grayson and i chuckle quietly, watching her small breakdown. she rolls her eyes at us and walks up to the bar, shouting at the bartender for shots.

"and keep them coming!"

"you sound like an actress from a movie."

"how?" she laughs

"cause that's what they all say. you know?"

"he's right." i chuckle

she chuckles and turns around, hearing her glass cups of shots being put down on the marble table.

"god, i've been waiting for so long." she kisses the cups dramatically

"shut up and down it!" grayson laughs

"you drink with me since nova isn't!" perla begs

"i'm not taking care of everyone. no, no. grayson, please don't drink." i look at him with pleading eyes

i sigh deeply, realizing he does want to drink but he's gonna say no just because he wants to help me.

"fine. drink. but don't-"

he grabs the other glass cup behind perla and chugs it down, setting it down on the table and breathing heavily.

"wow. no chaser?" perla smirks

grayson shakes his head and flips her off out of nowhere.

"what was that for?" perla yells over the music

"just felt like it." he shrugs

we watch him disappear into the dance floor and i watch perla go after him, leaving me alone at the bar.

my head bangs against the marble table and i immediately stand up straight, rubbing my head in pain.

"ow." i pout

"thank god no one else was around to see but me."

"i thought you were dancing with alison."

he points to the dance floor and i see perla and alison dancing together.

"i'm proud. she's actually getting along with her."

ethan laughs and plays with our matching bracelet that's set on his wrist.

"who was that guy you talked to?"

"you mean our waiter?" i chuckle

"yes. i forgot." he laughs

"he wants to uhm... take me out."

ethan nods at my statement and smiles at me, chugging his last bit of alcohol. a small part of me get's sad, not seeing any reaction of him.

not small actually, big.

"ok, well. i feel like perla is about to rip alison's hair out so i'm gonna go and get her out of there." ethan stands up

i smile and nod, drinking my cup of shirley temple.

"you gonna be ok here willows?" he smirks

"i was ok before dolan."

he nods and walks away, leaving me with my shirley temple and blushing from the conversation we had.