t h i r t y - e i g h t

song : steal my girl by one direction/beauty and a beat by justin beiber

nova's pov (flashback) :

i put on ethan's red sweatshirt and run downstairs, seeing everyone around the dinner table.

thank god no one remembers my birthday.

"nova!" lisa yells

everyone turns around and ethan pulls out a chair for me. i bow, teasing him and he chuckles, hitting the side of my head gently.

"be nice to your best friend." lisa warns

he rolls his eyes and sits in his chair, munching on his pancakes.

"so... what are your plans for today?" sean asks

"thank god. they don't remember." i whisper to myself

"what?" ethan chuckles

"n-nothing." i smile

he nods his head slowly and finishes his pancakes. i take my time with mine but i see ethan staring at me.

"yes ethan?" i chuckle

"can i have some?" he pouts

"ethan! i told you to make more for yourself!" lisa scolds

"no it's ok! i'll share." i laugh

i push my plate towards him and he scoots closer towards me, making me nervous. we both reach for the same fork and our hands touch. i stare at our hands and i look up at him and he smiles and stares into my eyes. i chuckle nervously and pull back, grabbing a different fork.

cameron nudges me and i don't dare to look but nudge her back. i hear her laugh but i ignore her and smile, eating away my pancakes with ethan.

"so i was planning to take alison to the movies."

"nice." i answer

he rolls his eyes and comes over to his tv, turning off the video game i was playing.

"e!" i yell

"i swear you're exactly like me." he chuckles

"that's why we're best friends, dumbo." i tease

he chuckles and wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me in for a hug.

"thank you." he murmurs into his red sweatshirt

i blush and wrap my arms around his torso, hugging him back.

"for what?" i ask

"being my best friend. always being there for me."

i chuckle and hug him even tighter. he suddenly picks me up and throws me over his shoulder and i start punching his back. he chuckles and hits the back of my thigh, making me gasp in shock.

"ethan fucking dolan! put me down! you know i hate it when you do this!"

"that's why i'm doing it dummy."

i can just imagine his stupid smirk so i give up and sigh deeply, letting myself fall back to where i was.

"you know... this is dangerous. i can-"