f o u r t y - e i g h t

nova's pov (flashback) :

"guys! give me back my lunchbox!"

ethan and grayson laugh and run off with my lunchbox and perla still sits on the grass of the football field. she looks up for a quick second and holds up her body with her hands behind her back.

"what?" she raises an eyebrow

i roll my eyes and run off to where grayson and ethan might be and i stop for a quick second, trying to catch my breath.

a warm hand grabs onto my wrist and pulls me behind a tree.

"do you have my lunchbox?" i pout

"no n." he laughs

i sigh and punch his chest gently.

"why did you tell grayson that my mom still makes my lunch for me! you knew he was gonna make fun of me, didn't you?"

he shrugs his shoulders and i shake my head, chuckling.

"now c'mon! i have to get my-"

"ethan dolan and nova willows."

i mentally cringe at the voice i hear and ethan's mood changes to protective. he pulls me aside but still holds me close to him and i stare at the figure in front of me.

"what do you want anthony?"

"nothing. i was just strolling around." he smirks

"ya, right." ethan scoffs

"still with willows i see?" he points at me

he chuckles at his own joke and ethan makes a motion towards anthony but i place my hand on his chest and stop him.

"hey! how's uhm... alison?" i ask

"still with me. if that's what you're wondering. why? does pretty boy want her?"

i look up to see ethan's breathing pick up and his arms flex. before anything could happen, i grab ethan's hand and he immediately relaxes. i send him a smile and motion my head back to grayson and perla on the football field. he nods and smiles, walking away with me.

"tell alison to call me when she dumps your ass!" ethan shouts, still walking

i turn around to see anthony's jaw drop and i see him running towards us.

"shit! run n!" ethan chuckles

he grabs onto my hand and we run in the direction of perla and grayson. i motion for them to get up, still running and their eyebrows scrunch up in confusion but they soon understand and their eyes widen in surprise. not having enough time, they leave their belongings and run for the entry of the school.

"what the fuck did you guys do?" grayson asks, out of breath

ethan doesn't answer but instead just smirks and i shake my head, chuckling but still running.

"you're such a fucking dick." grayson laughs and hits the back of ethan's head

"why do you even want her?" pal asks

"ya i mean... she is a bitch." bri snickers

perla and i both nudge her and bri shrugs her shoulders. everyone laughs except for ethan and i and i frown, seeing his upset reaction and snuggle in closer to him.

"want my brownies?" i ask

"did your mom make them?" he asks

i nod and he immediately grabs it, munching on them. everyone laughs and i smile and he smiles at me, giving me a kiss on the head.

"ethan!"

we turn around and i see ruby running towards us with her camera strapped around her neck.

"oh. hey ruby!" he smiles

"there's chocolate... everywhere." she laughs

he holds his hand out, knowing i have a napkin and i chuckle, grabbing one from my lunchbox and handing him one.

"what's up? do you have another question for the math homework?" he teasingly asks

"no asshole. i want to interview you and nova." she grins

"me?" i point to my chest

she nods immediately and motions for us to stand up. i hear small shouts, hyping us up and ethan turns around, slapping grayson on the head because he was the one who started it. everyone laughs and we turn back around, facing ruby.

"what is it for?" i ask shyly

"uhm... yearbook." she states

she adjusts her camera and smiles once she gets it on the correct setting.

"i'm just gonna ask you random stuff and you guys answer accordingly. is that good?"

i smile and nod, agreeing and ethan nods.

"ethan. how did you meet nova and what is she to you?"

my eyebrows scrunch up in confusion and before i can say anything, ethan clears his throat and starts to speak up.

"nova's family and my family were best friends before we were born. we've been best friends since birth basically."

ruby says a small 'aw' and motions for ethan to continue.

"well... she's my best friend and uh... if i'm being honest. i don't know where i'd be without her."

pal pinches my thigh and bri pinches my other thigh, making me yell out a small 'ow.' my hand covers my mouth in shock and i whisper a quick 'sorry.' ethan laughs and wraps his arm around my waist, kissing my cheek.

"and we have a bunch in common. besides grayson, she's like my other... other half."

a blush starts to form on my cheeks and my hand ends up on my heart, in awe.

"now, nova. have you ever had feelings for ethan?"

ethan clears his throat and i chuckle nervously.

"t-this is for yearbook?" i question in doubt

ruby immediately nods and i tuck a piece of hair behind my ear.

"well... no. he's always just been my best friend." i smile sadly

i look up to meet ethan's eyes and he smiles down at me, then back to the camera.

"ok. peace." perla flips off the camera

"perla!" ruby shouts

everyone at the table laughs and i hit perla's shoulder.

"i saved you. shut up." she whispers

~ just a small flashback i thought was important :)