f i f t y - f i v e

nova's pov (flashback) :

"gray. no that's supposed to go over-"

"god. i fucking hate ethan right now!"

i drop my hand from the ceiling and climb off the ladder slowly.

"i'm sorry novs. wait hold-"

he quickly scatters off the ladder and joins me on the ground. i play with the laces of my shoes and he stares at me, rocking back and forth.

"it's just that... ethan has been gone everyday. i never even see him anymore." he whispers

i look up and give him a sad smile.

"like, alison is the only person in his life right?" i question

"yes! it's so fucking annoying!"

"well i'm taking a break from him."

"w-what?" he scoffs

"he treats me like shit gray. anytime i want to do anything for him or any fucking time he calls me, drunk, i ask where he is, i drive over there, and he's fucking making out with alison. it hurts so much. i just- i can't do it anymore."

he pouts and pulls me in for a hug. his bulky arms rub my back and he snuggles into my neck, reminding me of the same position ethan always is in when he hugs me.

"he even told me one day that he broke up with alison and obviously i was ecstatic but i couldn't show that. i bought his favorite snacks, candies, drinks, just anything! just so i could make him a little happier. he was at the front door with alison pressed up on the front door and he was making out with her-"

flashbacks of them kissing come to my mind and i start sobbing into grayson's chest. he pulls me in closer and walks us over to a chair.

time passes by and i hear grayson chuckle. i look up and he stares down at me, laughing slightly.

"what?" my voice cracks from me crying

"nothing i mean, it's just that we're at school and anyone can walk in right now and see this!" he points

i turn around to see what he means and i chuckle at the mess we made.

"it's a mess." i laugh

"ya well, ethan was the head of the party planning group so... his fault."

"grayson. the 'party planning group' is just you, me, perla, and ethan. it's a thing we made up." i chuckle

he nods, agreeing and i shake my head, laughing.

"we got it approved by the principal though." he raises his eyebrows

"ok. i'll give you that one."

he high fives himself and i chuckle, wiping the little tears scattered all over my face.

"you gotta move on eventually novs."

i turn my head to look at him and he sadly smiles, waiting for an answer.

"i-i can't." i sadly chuckle

"wow! ok wait. this is actually hella good!"

i watch grayson as he runs over to the front of the gym and he pulls out his phone, snapchatting and explaining all the decorations.

once he finishes, he runs over to me, grinning widely.

"that's for memories." he says out of breath

i smile and ruffle up his hair.

"you're turning into ethan when he's with you! stop it!" he chuckles

i gasp and punch his bulky arm, gently.

"turn something on nova."

"no! i want to sleep." i pout

grayson rolls his eyes and let's out a frustrated groan. grabbing the remote, he turns on a random movie and runs back to the kitchen to get the popcorn.

i feel my eyes start to close and then feel a piece of popcorn being thrown at me.

opening an eye, i see grayson motioning for me to make room for him to sit.

"c'mon novs. move!"

i groan and get up, clutching the silky blanket to my body.

"so annoying." he whispers, teasingly

i scoff and grab a pillow, hitting it to his face. he throws a handful of popcorn at me and my jaw drops open in shock.

"asshole!" i yell

he laughs and i grab a handful of popcorn, throwing it at him.

soon it turns into a food fight and grayson gives up, grabbing onto my waist and throwing me on the couch.

"stop! you win!" he chuckles

i throw my hands up in victory and he shakes his head, laughing.

"what the fuck?"

we both spring up from the couch to see ethan standing next to the couch, staring at us.

"what is... this." he points to the popcorn

"we were just playing around." grayson glares

"i'll clean it up." i whisper

grayson stops me from bending down and shakes his head, indicating for me not to. he bends down instead and i rub my arm back and forth, watching him clean up.

suddenly, a hand grabs onto my arm gently and they run with me upstairs.

kicking a door open, they spin me into a bedroom and i fall back onto the bed.

"what the hell was that?" ethan spits out

"what do you mean, ethan?" i whisper

"that! you and grayson!"

"we were just having a food fight. why?"

i watch as his nostrils flare and he walks back and forth, tugging on the roots of his hair.

"why are you drifting away from me?"

i look up to see him standing in front of me. he bends down and places his hands on my knees. i jump up to the feeling of his touch but he pulls me back down.

"you're changing."

"b-but you're leaving."

standing up, i walk over to the door of his bedroom and take a deep breath, spinning back around.

"i only left because you changed."