And a happy new year (part 1)

The sound of someone knocking on the bedroom door made Dean wake up with a start. Light poured into the room from the crack between the wall and curtains. Apparently it wasn’t as early as he’d thought. Nevertheless, he was drowsy. Dean sat halfway up in the bed, leaning on his elbows. After a while, the knocker gave up, and pulled the door handle down to open the door instead. There was a bang, followed by a groan as the knocker walked straight into the door, clearly not expecting it locked. Dean chuckled as he heard someone swear.

“Dean”, Sam called from the other side of the door. Annoyance was seeping through his voice. “Open the door.” There was another knock.

Dean untangled himself from Cas, who was still half asleep judging from the way he barely managed to keep his eyes open, and paced over to the door to unlock it. He stepped aside, and Sam walked in, rubbing his forehead where a small red mark was forming.

“Why did you lock your door?” Sam looked accusingly at him, placing his fists on his hips and cocking his head. He looked like we was about to scold his big brother, suddenly reminding Dean of Ellen.

“So no one would walk in on us having sex”, Dean said matter-of-factly, mocking his brother on purpose. He jabbed a thumb over his shoulder, at the bed where Cas was still lying.

“You had sex?” Sam looked terrified. Exactly the way you could expect someone to look given this kind of information from their brother. “With us in the house?”

“He’s joking, Sam.” Dean turned around to give Cas a sharp look for spoiling the fun. He had sat up in the bed, and was now rubbing his eyes with his palms. His hair was flat against his head on the side he had slept on.

“You’re no fun”, Dean pouted.

“Sorry”, Cas said, not sounding sorry at all. “But I do have an older brother, and I know how freaked out I’d be if I’d thought he was sleeping with his girlfriend while I was in the house.”

“Thank you”, Sam said pointedly at the same time as Dean said, “Did you just call yourself my girlfriend?”

The look Cas shot Dean was baffled. “What?”

Sam cleared his throat, turning the boys’ attention back to himself. He was leaning back against the doorframe, arms crossed over his chest. “Anyway. Breakfast. You guys hungry?”

Dean narrowed his eyes at his little brother. “You woke us up to ask us if we wanted breakfast?”

Sam shrugged, making Dean groan in exasperation. “What is wrong with you?” Dean asked. “Do you hate sleep?”

***

Dean took a small step back after having knocked on the front door. He pulled his jacked closer around himself, trying to keep the cold out, watching the white smoke elude from his mouth with every breath. After looking quickly around to make sure no one was around to see him, he started breathing heavier to make more smoke. They loud sound of from a firework nearby, made him jump. He turned back to the door as he heard some movements inside, before someone finally opened the door. He was met by a familiar face.

"Dean! Hey!" Anna exclaimed, and ushered him inside. "Come on in."

"Thanks." He stomped some snow off his feet on the doormat before he stepped inside, quickly closing the door after him, to prevent any more of that precious warm air to escape outside. "It's freezing outside." He pulled off his jacket and hung it on a coat stand next to the door, before rubbing his hands together, trying to warm them up. They had gotten red and stiff from the cold.

"I know." Anna sighed. Dean noticed she smelt strongly of perfume and that she was using pink lipstick. It suited her. "I think it's the coldest it has been in years. They said something about it on the news today." Her eyes dipped down to Dean's clothes. "Woah, you look great!"