And a happy new year (part 2)

The moment Cas and Dean stepped inside, they were hit by an unpleasant wave of heat, sweat and alcohol. Looking around, Dean noticed that Uriel had led them into the living room. Now he was nowhere to be seen, already having been swallowed by the horde of drunk, dancing teenagers, that was currently occupying the room. Dean shut the door behind him as he scanned the crowd to find his friend, but failed.

"That freaking cockblocker drags us back inside and just disappears", Dean grunted. He shrugged off his jacket, tossing it on a free armchair nearby. Cas just chuckled at Dean’s reaction, shaking his head lightly, as he followed his example.

Dean continued looking around the room, still on the search for a familiar face among the crowd. Finally spotting Charlie and Kevin in the corner of the room, he seized Cas' hand and strode across the room.

"Having fun?" Charlie asked when she noticed them approaching. Her eyeliner was a bit smudged out under the eyes, though it was barely visible in the dim lighting in the room. She was fiddling with her necklace, which Dean now noticed was a replica of Hermione’s Time-Turner.

Cas nodded in response to her question. The snowflakes in his hair had already melted, and there were now only tiny, twinkling drops of water left. Dean pulled a hand through his own hair, discovering that it was in the same condition.

"You wanna join the dance floor?" Charlie asked, looking hopeful, her eyes darting between the two boys in front of her. Beside her Kevin rolled his eyes, gaining an elbow in the chest. "Because this lame ass here doesn't want to."

Dean chuckled. "Another lame ass here", he replied, gesturing towards Cas, who snorted. Though it was obvious that he was trying his best not to smile.

"So I take it you want to?" Charlie lighted up.

"Sure", he said, giving Cas a pointed look, which was rewarded by a glare. "Have fun, lame asses", he said before Charlie dragged him out on the dance floor. The last thing he heard before being out of earshot was Cas’ nonchalant voice saying “So… wanna make out?” Dean scoffed.

It was a lot hotter out on the dance floor, and the music was considerably louder. Dean recognized some of the teenagers around him from the first time he had peeked into the room that night. He was impressed of how long some people could keep dancing. He almost felt claustrophobic already. He looked back to a beaming Charlie in front of him. He had a feeling that she could be one of those who danced an entire night if someone was willing to accompany her. Suddenly the situation reminded him of the last party he had been to. Over Charlie's shoulder, he could see Cas and Kevin lean against the wall, the latter a beer in his hand, deep in conversation. He shook his head. This was not like last time, he reminded himself.

"You alright?" Dean looked back to Charlie and gave her a smile he hope was reassuring. He assumed he didn’t look very comfortable. Sure, he liked to dance. Though he wasn’t all that fond of being choked by twenty other people.

"I'm fine."

She nodded approvingly. Dean could already see some drops of sweat on her forehead, and how her hair was sticking to her skin. He assumed he looked no better himself.

"I'm glad you finally came back inside", Charlie said, making Dean frown. How long exactly had they been outside on the lawn? "Kevin is no fun at parties", she continued, jabbing a thumb over her shoulder. The gesture was assumingly an attempt to be a motion in Kevin’s direction, though she managed to fail quite miserably at that.

Dean chuckled. "Then he's a good match for Cas."

Charlie moved a little to the side to let a boy with way too much beer in his arms pass, at the same time as trying to make it part of her dancing moves. It didn’t quite work.