Chapter 33 - Frankie

Amity's POV:

I enter the room and look over at Zay and Charlie. As soon as my eyes land on Zay my heart breaks instantly, he looks horrible.

I watch as Charlie places her hand on his gently and he lifts one finger and moves it against her hand. The loving interaction between them and the thought of what's happened to him become all too much and I feel a single tear slide down my face.

"You must be Amity." A doctor speaks as she steps into the room.

"Yes, that's me." I wipe my tear quickly and turn my attention to her.

"Do you mind if I speak to you for a moment outside?" She asks.

"Sure." I nod and step out with her.

"I wanted to fill you in on what's happening." she begins. "We don't know the facts and at this point as Zay hasn't been able to answer any of our question. But he was brought in via ambulance and his neighbour reported a group of up to five men leaving the property in a hurry."

"Oh god." I place my hand over my mouth.

"His injuries would match the report, there are too many injury's to be infected by just one person."

"Is he going to be okay?" I ask not only scared for him, but for Charlie as well.

"He should make a full recovery." Dr Hale nods. "I have to ask, are you Zayd's legal guardian?"

"No, Zayd and my daughter Charlie are together, but he lives on his own. I have his father's contact details if you'd like me to call him?"

"I'll leave the family matters to you Amity, whatever you think is best." She places a hand on my shoulder. "He's lucky to have such supportive people around him." She makes her way back into the room.

Pulling my phone from my pocket I slide through my contacts until I reach Frankie's number. I hope Zay won't hate me for this but I think he should be informed. I listen to the dial tone on the other end of the line for what seems like forever, and just when I'm about to hang up a very groggy Frankie answers the phone.

"Hello?" He answers still half asleep.

"Frankie hey, it's Am, uh, Amity." I sigh "look I'm sorry to call you at this hour of the morning but Zayd is in hospital."

"Hospital?" He asks and I hear the blankets and sheets rustling. "Is he okay?"

"The doctors seem to believe there was some kind of gang bashing that took place. He is stable, but he's in bad shape." I admit

"I'm on my way." He hangs up the phone.

Taking a deep breath, I stick my head back into the room. Charlie is stroking Zay's head softly, his eyes are closed once more as if he's sleeping. It's breaking my heart to see him like this, and I can only imagine how Charlie is feeling.

"Charlie, can I borrow you for a moment?"

She nods and turns back to Zay placing a soft kiss on his forehead, then stands up and joins me outside of the room.

"Is everything okay?"

"I've called Frankie and he's on his way."

"I think it's for the best, Zay might not want him here at first but it would unfair of us to keep it from him, he is his father." She nods

"Oh, my sweet girl." I pull her into my arms. "You're mature beyond your years." I kiss the top of her head "how are you holding up?"

"I can't stand seeing him like this." She almost whispers as she looks up at me, tears streaming down her face. "I mean five on one? He must have been so afraid." She takes a shaky breath. "He's hand is all cut up, he tried to fight back, he tried-." She begins to sob in my arms.