Chapter 41 - Nightmare

Zayd's POV:

I've been struggling to be close to Charlie tonight and I know she feels it as well as I do. All the other men have been very affectionate towards their wives and girlfriends, but me, I just don't know what to say.

I can't even imagine what she went through tonight and I can tell its broken her. This is why I didn't want her to go in the first place. I never wanted her exposed to these kinds of things. Me holding her isn't going to change a single thing, we need to talk, but I have no idea what to say, I'm glad Tyler is gone and I'm glad Luke is gone as well, and I know that makes me a bad person but so be it.

I make my way upstairs to check on Charlie and bring her down to see officer Bradley as Chet instructed. Fuck, what the hell is officer Bradley even doing here and why out of everyone is it Charlie he wants to speak to? Surly Ryan and Jasper didn't leave anything behind that would lead this back to her?

No, they wouldn't have, they're way to trained for all of that.

I make my way up the stairs and push her bedroom door open slowly. She's tossing and turning and crying in her sleep and my heart skins, I should have been with her this entire time.

"Princess." I shake her gently as I sit down on the bed next to her.

She wakes startled and looks up at me tears rolling down her cheeks. "Zay." She says almost surprised in a whisper.

"Come here baby." I pull her into my arm and stroke her hair as she cries.

"It felt so real." She sobs

"I know baby, shhh." I hush her as I continue to stroke her hair. "It was just a dream."

Maybe I was wrong, maybe all she needs is for me to hold her, maybe we don't need to talk at all, I feel like such a dick, I've been neglecting her when she needs me most.

Chet soon appears at the door and he sighs softly rubbing his temples.

"She's in no state to talk." I tell him as I rock her in my arms.

"I'll handle it, you stay here with her." Chet exits the room.

Chet's POV:

I make my way back down stairs and sigh softly. "I'm sorry officer she's really unwell, she's being sick as we speak." I lie.

"I understand." He nods and stands up from the couch. "When she's feeling better will you let her know she no longer needs to worry about Tyler."

"How so?" I question.

"Tyler was killed tonight, he was involved with the gang ran by Luke Thompson who was also killed tonight. It was out at an old drug house on the lower south side and it looks like it was a drug deal gone bad." He sighs and shakes his head.

"I'm sorry for your loss Officer." And that wasn't a total lie, I was sorry that he had lost a child, and at the end of the day it wasn't I or any of my crew who killed him, it was someone from his own crew, Jordan.

"I just wish I knew where I went wrong along the way." He says softly, sadly. "I'm very sorry for all the trouble he has caused your family."

"No need to apologize." I nod slowly.

"Also let Charlie know Officer Dennis was in on it all, and he's been put behind bars for a long time to come. We've got him on drugs, selling to under-aged kids, as well as sex with minors and a list more of things I can't tell you about for privacy reasons." He sighs once more.

"I'll be sure to let her know." I nod. "Thank you for coming by and once again, sorry about your son."

I show him to the door.

Zayd's POV:

"Zay." Charlie whispers softly as she pulls back from my embrace and looks up at me, tears staining her face, her eyes now a brighter green.

"What is it baby?" I whisper

"He's really dead right?" She questions

"He's really dead, it's all over." I assure her as I stroke her cheek. "It's all over, you don't have to be afraid anymore."

"What if the police find out it was me?" She asks panicked

"That's not going to happen, Jasper and Ryan removed anything that might lead back to the Cobras."

"What if they didn't?"

"If they didn't and I'm sure they did, then I'll take the blame." I promise her. "I won't let you go down for this baby."

"You're saying you'd do jail time for me?" She questions surprised.

"Just make sure you come and visit." I wink at her causing her to giggle a little, the exact reaction I was after.

Chet soon appears back at the door and enters. "He's gone." He sits down on the end of the bed and looks at Charlie. "He came by to inform you that Tyler was murdered in a drug deal gone bad along with leader Luke Thompson." He takes a breath. "Officer Dennis was also involved in the gang and has been locked away."

"But how?" She asks in shock.

"He's gone Charlie, and you didn't do it, it was a drug deal gone bad." He shrugs

"Thank-you." She whispers and leaves my arms, giving her dad a hug.

"I'll always protect you sweetheart, we all will." He assures as he holds her.

It took a little while but finally I got Charlie off to sleep, she tossed and turned a lot but there didn't seem to be anymore nightmares, or if there was she didn't cry.

I guess it's going to take her a while to get over this, she took someone's life and for someone as loving and caring as her that isn't going to be easy for her to live with. But she did what she had to do, it was her life or Luke's and she choose to take Luke's, a choice I'm glad she made because, without her, I'd be lost.

Lying awake I stroke her hair softly and listen to the birds chirping softly outside the window. I didn't catch a wink of sleep, but she's worth it.

Her eyes flutter open slowly, she rolls over and snuggles into me close. "You're awake already." She whispers.

"I didn't sleep." I reply and place and kiss on her forehead.

"Why?" she whispers.

"I was watching over you." I admit.

"You're sweet Zay." she smiles softly. "You should really sleep though."

"How are you feeling?" I question.

"How am I meant to feel?" She looks up at me, a frown on her face. "Because I don't know, I feel like I monster, I'm glad they're gone." she admits as tears roll down her cheeks again. "I'm a monster." she says once more.

"You're not a monster." I shake my head. "You did what you had to do to protect yourself, anyone would have done the same, so don't think like that."

"Why are you still he-" she begins

"Stop." I press my lips to hers, cutting her off, knowing where she was going with it. "I love you." I remind her.

"I love you." she snuggles in close and closes her eyes once more.

This time I close my eyes as well and drift off to sleep.