Chapter Twenty-Three

Josh's PoV
I thought I heard Grace say something so I decided to go talk to her. I didn't think anyone was in her room because Sasha was downstairs and no one else usually visited her.
"Hey, Josh?" I heard Tobi yell from his room. I stopped and opened his door.
"What?"
"Come here," Tobi said. I walked over to him and we talked for a few minutes. "Thanks," Tobi said as I left. I knocked on Grace's door; there was no answer.
"Grace?" I called. There was still no answer. I slowly pushed open the door. She wasn't inside. I walked into the room and shut the door behind me. Something on the bed glistened. I went over to it. There, on the bed, sat a small knife and a note. I grabbed the note.
'Grace is with me. If you want her back come to *random address* Call the cops, she dies. Bring anyone else, everyone dies. So come alone and be here soon. She can't hold her breath that long.' It read.
I didn't know what it meant, but I didn't like it. The note said not to call the police. I decided to follow his instructions. It didn't say I couldn't have a weapon. I walked by Tobi's room. "Tobi, I'm going out for a little while. I'll be back in a bit," I said.
"Okay." I told the rest I was leaving and went to my room. I needed something to defend myself. I had grabbed the blade and the note from her bed. Both had blood on them. I grabbed the small pistol from my bedside table and loaded it. I grabbed a pocket knife and my phone. Then I set out.
Grace's PoV
I climbed down the ladder and ran. I heard Aaron cuss at me. I looked behind me and saw him jump off the ladder and sprint at me. I knew he was much faster than me.
"Help," I yelled as he pounced on me. Aaron grabbed me and flung me over his shoulder. He took off running. I didn't know where he was taking me, but I didn't like it.
*time skip*
After a while Aaron brought me to this weird place. He had my feet and hands tied together. He did that while we were in the woods. I kept trying to escape and he didn't like that. He'd already hit me several times. Then he brought me to this huge tank of water. It was at least nine feet deep. A lid was on the top. Aaron grabbed me and dragged me up a few stairs. We were now at the top of the stairs. I was right next to the lid now. There was a small opening in the middle. Aaron pushed me forwards causing me to fall. My face was right by the opening now. Aaron knelt down and cut the ropes from my hands and legs,
"You want to call him before I throw you in? He's already on his way," Aaron said, holding up a phone.
"You're lying," I yelled. My words echoed all around the room. He kicked me, sending me flying into the water. I plunged down. My lungs filled with water as I took a deep breathe. I squirmed around. My hands and legs kicked me to the top. I coughed up water as my head surfaced.
"Really?" He asked me. He flipped the phone open and dialed a number. It rang three times before someone picked up. The other end was silent. "Hi there, Josh. Are you looking for Grace?" Aaron said.
"Aaron, stop it. Drop the fucking phone, he's not coming," I screamed.
"Aaron? What are you doing to Grace?" I hears Josh ask. Aaron just sat there.
"Josh, don't come here. I'm fine," I said.
"You're fine, Grace. You're fucking drowning and you're fine?" Aaron screamed at me. He inched closer to the glass and crouched down. He put the phone on speaker.
"I took swimming lessons you fucking prick," I said, kicking and thrashing me legs. I knew I couldn't stay up forever though. I wasn't that great at swimming, I just knew the basics.
"So, if I made the water rise and closed this gap, what would you do? You'd run out of air. That's what," Aaron said. I knew he would always be one step ahead of me. I needed a way to get out of there. My legs were already starting to burn a little.
"Aaron, you said you wouldn't kill her. I didn't call the cops and I didn't tell anyone else. It's just me. Just don't kill her," Josh said. I could hear all the traffic from his side. He was in his car, trying to find me.
"You gave him the wrong address, didn't you?" I demanded. Aaron cackled. Aaron set the phone down.
"Don't ruin the surprise for your friend, Grace. You wouldn't want him to know his fate, would you?" Aaron asked.
"Josh, he gave you the wrong address," I shouted.
"You little spoiler," Aaron said, putting his hand on my head and pushing me down. "Say more Grace. Keep talking, you'll just get water in your lungs. You loud mouth bitch," he said. My lungs were burning for air and I was struggling. He had a tight grip on my head and hair. I reached my hands up and started grabbing at his hand and arm. I splashed the water, making it go up and hit him in the face. Aaron let go and wiped the water away. "Just for that, I'm raising the water," he said, walking down the stairs. I reached for the opening.
"Josh, just leave. I don't want you to get hurt," I said, grabbing the phone and turning it off speaker. I was drenched and freezing at this point. I felt sick. I heard something. It was the splashing of water. New water was being poured into the tank.
"Grace, I'm coming to get you. Aaron's a sick bastard. Now, where are you?" He asked.
"I don't know. I think Aaron sent you to the wrong place," I said. The water was getting dangerously high so I turned the phone back on speaker and threw it on the platform above me. I could hear Josh swearing. "Josh, I'm not going to survive, just leave and call the cops. His blood is on that knife."
"Grace, I'm getting you. It's that simple. So stop fighting and tell me where the fuck you are," Josh shouted at me. I whimpered and let out a cry. I could hear Aaron marching up the stairs.
"You don't need to hear me die," I paused. "I love you Josh. I always have," I said, throwing the phone off the platform. It crashed to the ground below, probably breaking. I looked up to see Aaron. The water was up high but had stopped pouring in.
"Bitch, you can't love him. You won't say it to me, but you'll say it to him?" Aaron reached down and tried to grab me. I went under and swam to the other side of the tank. "Come here or you die," Aaron said. I swam over to him. He grabbed my head and slammed me against the glass wall. My head started to spin and I felt dizzy. Just then I heard another sound and Aaron let go of me. I struggled to stay floating. My head was pounding and my limbs burned. "Josh, you can't save her," Aaron yelled. I heard him stand up. I looked up to see Aaron pull out a gun.
"Shoot me then. Or you could come down here and fight me like a god damn man," Josh said.
"Men don't drive around and try to find some one else's girlfriend," Aaron said.
"Men don't kidnap people and throw them in a tank," Josh yelled back. I heard Aaron cock the gun.
"I see you brought a gun too. I thought the note said no weapons," Aaron said getting down and grabbing my hair. He pulled me up above the water. I shivered as the coldness hit me. He slammed me down into the platform he was standing on. I was just giving up. My consciousness was mainly gone. I struggled to stay awake.
"It didn't say anything about weapons," Josh yelled. I could hear him take out a piece of paper. He read the letter a loud.
"You must not have seen the thing in invisible ink then," Aaron said, putting the gun against my head.
"Wait, don't kill her. Please don't," Josh said, dropping the gun. "Do whatever the fuck you want with me, just don't hurt her."
"You stay right fucking there," Aaron said. He grabbed my hair and dragged me down the stairs. "Kick the gun away from you." Josh kicked the gun. It went flying a crossed the room. Aaron bound me up again, this time tying me to a chair. He walked up to Josh, the gun still in his hand. My vision was blurred, so I could barely see.
*Josh's PoV*
I kicked the gun away from me. I didn't know what he would do. He had Grave by the hair. I didn't understand how people could treat each other that way. It was evil.
"You want to fight. Well, he's your fight, bitch," Aaron said, running forwards. Grace was sitting in a corner, tied up to a chair. I was sure she didn't want to watch me die. I had to save her though. I didn't know if I could, but I would try. Aaron leapt on me, shoving me to the ground. I knew what it was like to fight; school can teach you a lot. I put my knee up and shoved my right side over, putting me on top of Aaron. I punched him. He didn't flinch. I punched Aaron again and again. Then, he flipped me over. "Things do hurt people, Josh. I saw you you kiss Grace. She smiled. She never smiled for me. She said she loved you. She never said that to me. She watched you on youtube. She watched all of you on Youtube. She fantasized about you so much. She knows things about you, Josh. I also know," Aaron said before shooting me in the side. He dropped the gun and stood up.
"Josh," I heard Grace yell.
"There are some things you can't run from. You can't run from me. I'm powerful, you're weak. But, you know what I want to do? I wanna fucking kill you. You deserve to die. You cant take her away from me," Aaron said, crouching down. He grabbed the knife. I knew this was the end. My side was bleeding and I was choking on my own blood. "Oh, and one last thing, she's 17 Josh. That's illegal you criminal." Aaron brought the knife down, slamming it into my leg. I screamed and rolled to my side. Blood leaked out of my mouth. My hand loosely clasped around the gun at my side. I grabbed it.
"Fuck you," I said, aiming the gun at him and pulling the trigger. It shot him right in the leg. Then I heard the police sirens. I had called the police and left my phone in my car before I had gotten here. I guess they had finally gotten here. I heard running footsteps.
"Josh, come on. You're fine," Grace said. She was now at my side. I didn't know how she got there. She put her hand on my side.
"Grace, I'm not fine. You told me that I would die soon. You said people couldn't out run fate. I out ran it long enough. You still got a life a head of you. Now get out of here and find the police," I said, trying to smile at her. My hand stroked her hair. Her eyes were full of tears and her face was wet.
"Josh," she whimpered. My vision started to darken. "Come on, stay with me." I rolled over a little as I coughed up more blood.
"Just go, Grace," I said, dropping my hand away from her. Her hand gripped mine and she bent down. Her arms wrapped around me and I felt her give me a hug.
"I love you, Josh," she said.
"I love you too, Grace." I managed to say before I felt the last of my consciousness slip away from me.