Chapter Twenty-Five

I woke up the next morning around 10. The gun wasn't in my hand anymore. The door was slightly open and I was tucked in. The lights were off and the windows were closed. No one was in the room with me. I stood up and stretched. I decided to get to my room. One of them had known I was in here. I opened the door and walked as quietly as I could across the hallway. My room was at the other end. I reached my room and snuck in. I locked the door behind me. I made sure all of my windows were locked. I heard a knock.
"Grace, I know you're in there. Open it. I just saw you," I heard Tobi say. I went to the door and unlocked it. I slowly opened it and looked out. Tobi stood there.
"What do you need?" I asked, looking at the ground.
"Listen, we couldn't find you last night. You had a gun in your hand. Why were you in Josh's bed with a gun?" He asked. I keep my eyes on the ground. I didn't respond. "Grace, answer the question," Tobi said, raising his voice. I felt like curling myself into a ball.
"I wanted to protect myself. Josh saved me so laying in his bed helped me sleep," I said, slightly looking up. I felt Tobi put an arm around me. I flinched.
"I know you're taking this hard, Grace. Trust me. I've been best friends with him. This doesn't feel great. Ask anyone that knew him. He's a good guy. But, he'll survive and everyone will get over it," Tobi said, hugging me.
"He knew people, Tobi. If I had died, Sasha would be sad. That's it. My parents wouldn't care. If Josh dies, think what's going to happen. I won't be the girl who killed her best friend, I'll be the girl who killed someone that everyone loved. He wasn't mean to people. He was great. I ruined everything, Tobi. You can't even deny it without lying. I caused all this shit. Aaron knocked you unconscious. He could have killed Josh, Simon, Ethan, Vik, Harry, and I that one night. If the police wouldn't have been called, I wouldn't be here. You'd be living in this house alone. Sasha thinks that Aaron couldn't do anything. She doesn't understand what he can do. She doesn't understand how he can hurt people," I said, tears running down my face. Tobi wiped the tears from my face.
"Listen Grace, you're a great girl. More people care about you then you notice. How about we go see Josh? I'm not sure if they'll let us see him, but it's worth a shot," Tobi said. I nodded.
"Let me change and then we'll head. If you want, you can see if the rest want to come. Or the two of us can just go," I said. He nodded and left. I closed the door and locked it. I changed my clothes quickly and brushed through my hair. I put on some light makeup and left. Tobi was waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs.
"You ready to head?" Tobi asked, throwing the keys into the air and catching them. I laughed and nodded.
"Yeah, let's go," I said.
*time skip*
When we got to the hospital, I practically lept out of the car. I ran to the doors and pushed them open. I ran up to the desk.
"Is there someone here by the name of Josh Zerker?" I asked.
"Are you family?" She asked hesitantly.
"I'm his fiancé," I answered. She stared at me like I was a crazy mofo. Tobi walked up behind me and handed me a gold ring. I slipped it on my left ring finger. I held my hand up. "See, that's the ring. So grateful of him to get it in my favorite color too," I said. She rolled her eyes and gave me his number. I practically ran to his room. He wasn't awake but I didn't care. He was hooked up to several machines. I was actually quite surprised he'd made it through the night. He had lost so much blood. I'd been covered. Tobi walked into the room. I grabbed the ring off my finger. "Thanks for that, Tobi. You're the best," I said, handing him the ring and hugging him.
"Do you mind if I go see Simon for a little bit?"
"It's okay. I'll be in here," I said. He left the room and I went to the chair by his bed. I hoped nothing too bad had happened. I didn't know what had happened last night. I guessed this wasn't going to be good when he woke up. I sat there for what felt like hours. I was just talking. I knew he couldn't hear me, but I pretended he could. Tobi walked into the room.

"You ready to leave?" He asked.

"Sure. How's Simon?" I asked as we left.

"A lot better. He was up. He says he's still in pain though," Tobi responded. I nodded and we headed to his car. Once we got there, he started driving.

"Tobi, no one will answer my question," I paused. "What happens with Josh's episodes? No one will explain anything to me. I need to know," I said.

"He hates hospitals, when he sees them he freaks. If we didn't get him those pills, he'd be dead. He suffers from sever depression. You see, when he was younger, in his teens, something happened. He had this girlfriend named Freya. They were a great couple and they thought everything was going fine. And then she got kidnaped. They found her several weeks later, almost dead. She didn't survive one night in the hospital. That's why Josh wanted to find you. He was out looking for her every day when she was missing. I don't know how he didn't find her. He walked and drove every inch of that place. If we didn't get him the pills, he remembers that event and hurts himself...or other people. The pills help him forget and calm down. That's why we all carry around a bottle of the pills. You have to force two down his throat. After that he gets kinda sleepy," Tobi finished as we pulled up into the driveway.

"Oh. So, I did something that one night? I affected him like I shouldn't have," I said. Tobi remained silent.

"You know Josh likes you, right?" Tobi asked. I nodded. "He doesn't care what happens to him as long as you're fine. He's a great guy. Trust me on that," Tobi said, stepping out of the car. We went inside and saw the others in the living room. Harry and Sasha sat on the couch, watching tv. Harry's arm rested on the back of the couch, right behind Sasha. I smiled to myself and went upstairs. I locked myself in my room that day and didn't come out. I didn't eat anything that day either. Visiting him make me feel a little better. It wasn't enough for me though.