7.

"Welcome!" The interview host greeted them as the boys of Paper Parachute filed into the studio. Chairs had been placed in front of the camera for them and Blake made a bee-line for one of the two seats located on the back row.

"Blake, would you mind sitting in the front please? You are the face of the band after all." Blake stifled a groan but did as he was asked. This happened every time.

He hated this idea that because he was the singer he had to be this permanent spokesperson for them. They all were perfectly capable of speaking and they seemed to like these things a hell of a lot more than Blake did. Even just being in this type of setting made him uncomfortable and so he was annoyed every time the responsibility of representing the group fell to him.

Dex, the great friend he was, did his best to help bear the burden with Blake, dutifully taking the seat in the front next to him and allowing Kace and Rian to fill the row in the back when they leaned back and prepared to contribute basically nothing.

"You boys happy to be here?" The lady asked, she was blonde and her face was completely caked with makeup. He didn't acknowledge her question. What the fuck was he supposed to say? No? She leaned forward to show off her cleavage, or lack thereof, looking to Blake expectantly.

He stared at her, and it was only then Blake realized she was eyeing him with the look women often gave him, the one that told him if he were to follow her to an empty room she wouldn't mind at all.  He forced himself to shake those thoughts, that was the kind of thinking that had gotten him the reputation he had now. It was the same reason that Blair had thought he would take advantage of her while she was out of it.

Anger boiled deep in his chest when he thought about it. Sure, he was an asshole. He had heard it so many times that he had come to terms with and accepted it. He was vain, conniving and a whole list of other things the media made him out to be but he wanted to believe that he could still be a decent human being.

For starters, he had redeeming qualities, didn't he? He loved his band mates. Sure, he was late and disrespectful of their time sometimes, but he really did do his best to always be there for them. He knew there was room for improvement though and as he looked over to Dex, still fielding the forward interviewers questions while he got lost in his own mind, he realized that he really did need to do better on that front. His friends and family were all he really had.

"Blake, how about you?" The blonde woman asked, he hadn't bothered to remember her name, directing the attention to him. He hadn't heard a word she'd said and he turned to Dex, using his eyes to silently plead for help.

"Well," Dex started "I'd say Blake has really grown as a lyricist, I think that's the biggest change we can see on the new stuff we've done for the album. The songs he's written most recently, even in the last week, I think are just leaps and bounds better than anything we've done before. Wouldn't you say Blake?" Dex saved his ass. Again.

"Yeah, I think the stuff we've been writing most recently is similar to "Drown." That song has been such a success for us because I think it's one that a lot of people who listen to our music just really seem to relate to. I've been pretty open about my mental health struggles as the band has progressed and then while dealing with a very public breakup. I have a lot that I've needed to say for a long time and I guess now I'm taking the opportunity to say it."

"So, would you say the new album will have a darker vibe?"

"Um, I think it's really just going to depend on which songs make the cut. I've written some really depressing shit —sorry—some really depressing stuff and I've written some songs that are very optimistic and hopeful. We've only recorded one song that's for sure going on the album, it's a sad song, but it was almost therapeutic for me. It was something I needed to get out and I think the fans will appreciate it."