36.

Things were still bad between Blake and Blair, but the night before had proven, at least to Blake, how much they needed each other.

The origin of their fight seemed so far behind them now. Too much had happened since that had put everything into perspective for him.

What difference did some innocent comment on the radio make when she was the only one he wanted to comfort him when he heard about Cash? When she was the only person who consistently saw the best in him? When she was the one always there to steer him in the right direction? When she was the only person he had ever thought about forever with.

He needed her, and he owed her one hell of an apology.

She stirred in bed, her arms wrapped protectively around his waist squeezing him tighter as her face scrunched into a frown. He wondered what she was dreaming of as he brushed a stray strand of her blonde hair from her face.

He hoped she would be more open to talking when she woke up. Fixing things with her might help to make the gaping hole in his chest a fraction smaller and at this point, anything would be an improvement.

He didn't want to disturb her sleep, she looked like an angel. When he'd arrived last night his grief hadn't stopped him from noticing the bags under her eyes. She needed the rest. He however, was in desperate need of a shower so he carefully lifted her up and off of him filling his place with a pillow. A drawer of his things still resided in her dresses so he grabbed a t-shirt and sweatpants from the stash before heading for the bathroom.

He'd barely stepped under the water before hearing the unmistakable sound of her loud footsteps. The curtain was pulled back and she stared up at him, concern evident in her eyes. He moved closer to the stream of water offering her space to get in with him. She seemed to understand his offer and began to strip, her underwear and the shirt of his she had slept in falling into a heap on the floor.

She stepped in behind him, gently touching his forearm as she reached around him to grab a washcloth. She lathered the soap across the fabric before pressing it to his skin. This wasn't the first time she had washed him but this time felt different, almost symbolic even. Like they were washing away all of the harsh words and turmoil they had been through lately. Like they were admitting to each other their desperate need for one another.

His guilt and regret for the words he had thrown at her built up within him until he could no longer contain it.

"I'm so sorry, Blair." He said, his chest heavy with all of the burdens he was carrying at the moment. His fight with Blair, her lawsuit, and his brother. Cash. God, what if he never saw him again? The thought alone was enough to cause his tears to spill over the edge.

Blair silently rubbed his back as his grief washed over him. He didn't want to grieve. He wanted to believe whole heartedly that Cash was still out there somewhere. In the end though, he feared that if Cash still was alive, his fate may be far worse than death.

"Blake, Blake you've got to eat something." Blair prodded as she set a hot bowl of soup in front of him, hoping he would at least attempt to ingest the warm liquid. He'd been quiet ever since their shower this morning, his eyes appearing sunken in and his skin paled. He was a ghost of himself and Blair was ready to do whatever she had to to get him looking like himself.

"Not hungry." He replied.

Blair's heart nearly broke within her chest. He was so completely devastated and lost. She could only imagine what he was going through.

Her thoughts were pulled away from him by a knock at the door. Blair sighed in relief as she answered it to be greeted by Blake's mom, Andrea, and Dex. Blake's mom appeared to be in the same state as her son, a mixture of disbelief, grief, and sadness falling on her face. When she glanced up and caught sight of Blair her arms immediately opened. 

Blair stepped forward and wrapped her in a hug, struggling to keep her composure as the woman fell into choked sobs. 

"Blake's just through here in the living room." Blair said, taking Andrea at an arm's length and gesturing over her shoulder. She took the woman's hand and guided her through the house and to the room Blake occupied. 

"Mom!" He said, standing and moving quickly towards her. Their arms wound around each other as they cried together. "How'd you get here?"

"Blair sent Dex to get me. Figured it was better for us to be together." He nodded as he turned his head to Blair and mouthed a 'Thank you.'

She just shook her head and gave them a moment to bond as she showed Dex back to the front door.

"Take care of him Blair. Even when he was a total dick, he's always been good to his family. Ever since his dad died he's felt like he had to protect them. If Cash really is gone, it's going to kill him. For what it's worth though, Rian told me why you and Blake were fighting. You didn't deserve what he said to you Blair. I know things are bad right now and you just want to comfort him but you can't let him get away with that. You have to hold him accountable. He's grown so much since he met you and I want him to keep growing. He's my best friend."

Blair stared at the ceiling as she tried to prevent her emotions from spilling out. She was doing her best today to focus on Blake and not on herself. 

"I promise I'll talk to him, I think I may give him a few days though, adding to his heartache right now doesn't feel right."

"Just promise you'll stick up for yourself B. The rest of the boys and I all love you and don't want to see you hurt. Blake has a tendency to self-destruct, we don't want you to be collateral."

Blair gave a slight nod and watched as he turned and walked down the steps towards the parking lot. 

She thought about all he said, she knew she needed to face that discussion with Blake but at the moment there just seemed to be too many other things to worry about for a stupid comment to take precedence. There would be plenty of times to discuss it later, now just simply was not the time.

Blair tread carefully into the living room and took a seat next to Blake just as he spoke to his mother.

"What did they say, Ma? And where's Scotty?"

"Scotty is finishing his term. He'll be home in three days unless there is news. As far as the military they just said they were doing everything they could to find them and that we would know as soon as they did. A call means he's been found alive. A notification officer means we aren't that lucky."

"I'll hope for a call then." Blake forced out.

"Me too, buddy. Me too."

AN: Sad Blake :(

Do you think Blair is smart to hold off sorting things out with Blake until more is known about Cash?

Do you think Cash is alive?

What's next?

Vote and Comment!

ILY

Sav