Ch.1

If Brett could pick a color that represents Eddy, that would definitely be yellow. Warm, positive, joyful, fun, always shining like a shimmering star. 

Yeah, he is like a star, a tiny but bright one. Not a sun. Brett thought. Eddy is not that social. He is fun and talkative when he is with Brett, but he is quiet and shy when being in a group. Ten out of ten for an introvert. Maybe this is why Brett sometimes feels lucky about getting to know Eddy really well.

"I think my tolerance is four." Eddy once told Brett on their way home from a youth orchestra social event. Brett decided to leave early when he saw Eddy was so nervous that he shook more than Brett's worst shaky bow on the stage.

"You mean four drinks?" Brett laughed when Eddy rolled his eyes. Of course he knows that Eddy does not drink. He got flushed easily even after just a sip of beer, and he would always pick bubble tea over alcohol.

"Nah, I mean people. I think four is the maximum of people that I can handle at once. If there are more than four people in the group, I start to panic." Eddy explained as they entered the park that they usually hung out after school or orchestra rehearsal.

"Am I one of the four people if I am in the group?" Brett asked Eddy out of curiosity. He sat down next to Eddy on the bench behind the fountain and carefully placed his violin case next to Eddy's.

"No." Eddy answered without hesitation, "Weird...I did not even consider you for that tolerance thing. Maybe it's because hanging out with you is just easier?"

"Yeah? I feel the same." Brett echoed. "I'd rather relax with you than spending time with anyone else." For some reason Eddy's face looked slightly pink all of a sudden but Brett did not remember seeing alcohol at the social. The youth orchestra should not be serving alcohol at their social event anyway, Brett thought.

"Why are you staring at me?" Eddy wiped his mouth and turned to the fountain to check his reflection. "Do I have something in my teeth?"

"No. Nothing." said Brett.

***

"Why are you staring at me, Bretty?" Eddy's high pitched voice suddenly woke Brett up from daydreaming. "Do I have something in my teeth?"

Eddy stood up to check his reflection in the fountain. Brett realized that they are now at the exact same park, sitting at the exact same bench where they had that conversation about Eddy's 'social anxiety'.

"No. Nothing." Brett smiled, "Thanks for showing up, mate." Brett felt very relieved when Eddy agreed to meet him at the park even though he did not explain anything on the phone.

"Of course. I was worried about you when you called me." Eddy sat back on the bench. "Was your brother teasing you again? Or your sister?"

As the oldest son in the family, Eddy understood Brett's experience of growing up under the pressure to succeed and 'make the family proud.' Eddy's mom also expected Eddy to go to a medical school and become a doctor someday.

"No." Brett talked so quietly that Eddy needed to move closer to be able to hear his best friend clearly. "It's not about the things that they said explicitly. It's more about the things that they don't talk about but everyone knows."

"Like what?"

"The unspoken truth that I am the black sheep and I should not exist." Brett lowered his gaze to his hands on his knees.

This was Brett's first time saying this out loud to others, and also to himself. He was sweating, yet his skin felt cold. 

"But you always work so hard! And I am sure your parents knew it, too." Eddy patted Brett on his back and tried to sound hopeful.