Ch.20

Eddy was cheerful and excited when he first got out of class today. He was doodling new video ideas in his notebook throughout his literature class and he could not wait to share them with Brett. 

Although they were not in the same year, they grabbed lunch together during lunch break every day to spend some time with each other before they could see each other again after school.

It was a bit odd that Brett had not replied to his text yet. Normally Brett would text or call him as soon as his class was over. 

All of a sudden, Eddy noticed a familiar figure standing outside a random classroom. That's definitely Brett. Lucky me. 

He was about to run over until this girl who he had never seen before, approaching Brett and speaking to him anxiously.

Who was that? Eddy was confused. His pleasant mood quickly faded away as he saw Brett smile to her and she blushed right away. 

What are they talking about? 

Are they flirting with each other? 

Why is she standing that close to Brett? 

Does Brett know her?

Is there anything that I do not know about Brett? 

Eddy suddenly felt worried and insecure. 

He hated to think it this way but seeing Brett stood next to a girl like that seemed so...normal. He wondered how would others perceive them if they act like a couple in public, not just friends. 

Will people also think we are cute just like how they would say about a straight couple?

Eddy was not very sure if he should identify himself as gay just by the fact that he has a crush on his same-gender best friend (maybe he should?). 

They actually never talk about it explicitly. Never. They never openly talk about their sexual orientation since they began dating each other.

What if Brett likes both guys and girls? 

What if Brett likes other guys, too? Or other girls? 

What if Brett deserves someone better? Someone that is...not me?

Processing all these thoughts hurt Eddy's head, and maybe his heart as well. He decided to pretend that he did not see Brett on his way to the dining hall and went straight to where they planned to meet.

****

"Are you mad at me, Eddy?" 

"No."

"Then what's wrong? You are so quiet today."

"Nothing." said Eddy, who obviously sounded irritable. He kept eating his sandwich and staring at his phone.

"Liar. You have not looked at me at all since we sat down at the table." Brett sighed. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong. I am fine."

"No, I am serious. What's wrong?" Brett insisted.  

"What's wrong?" Eddy repeated Brett's question in disbelief and tried to control his temper. "Mate, you did not show up for lunch for a solid 20 minuets, and you also ignored all my text and calls when I was trying to find you. And when you finally showed up 20 minutes late, you told me everything about this girl, God knows who she is–"

"Toni. Her name is Toni." Brett interrupted Eddy, which did not help with the whole situation.

"Who cares? Anyway, so a girl made you late, huh? I guess she is cute enough to trap you and make you forget all about me then."

"What?" Brett's eyes widened with surprise. "I did not say she is cute. I was just saying that she seemed helpless because her accompanist just bailed on her and..."

"So what? I guess Prince Brett is going to save her from her miserable life now?" Eddy argued, not realizing that he had raised his voice and other people sat nearby started to notice their argument. "And you are 20 minutes late–" 

"I said 'sorry' when I first got here, okay? Also, you are late all the time and I never complain! I'm the one that is always on time–" Brett also raised his voice in anger. 

"Not for today. Obviously." Eddy's voice was cold. "Anyway, I am heading back to class now."

"What?" Brett knew Eddy did not have any classes right after lunch break. At least not for the next hour. "Wait, I don't understand why you are so mad at me...I am sorry about being late and not answering your phone and text. But that was because..."

"The girl, I know. And that's the problem." Eddy stood up, squeezing his empty lunch box into his backpack. 

"You mean Toni? Why is she the problem? Wait, Eddy–"

"Well, maybe she is not the problem but I am. And I am sorry about being a problem to you, okay?" Eddy did not even know how those words came out from his mouth. He knew that he is not making any sense but all he wants now is escaping from Brett. "I'll see you after class."

"...alright." Brett had no choice but watched Eddy quickly walked away.

This is so dumb. Brett thought. They used to make fun of those stupid couples who argued in public like they wanted the whole world to know how much they hated each other, and how dramatic their love story was.

Oh man. Now look at who is fighting in public? Brett shook his head to clear his mind.

Why are we arguing for something so small like this? 

Honestly, Brett was still unsure about what made Eddy so upset because he thought they are both cool with each other being late, and Eddy was never this mad when Brett was late before. 

Well, maybe 20 minutes was a bit too long...but what does Eddy mean by Toni or he himself is the problem? Brett buried his face in his hands. 

Gosh, why is managing a relationship so freaking hard?

Brett would never know that this was also the same thought that popped up on Eddy's mind simultaneously.

TBC.