Ch.22

There are many things that never change. And Jordon He believes that friendship is one of them, especially his friendship with Eddy Chen.

If you know Eddy Chen, you'd probably describe him as a shy, introverted boy who does well academically but definitely not socially. He was mostly quiet in class, taking the corner seat in the back as if he would rather disappearing or not being noticed by anyone in the room. 

And if you know him a little bit more, you'd probably aware that he plays the violin because he would occasionally disappear from class to attend some sort of rehearsals, competitions, or music exams. He also seems to have a punctuality problem as he has been late to class a few times, but he never turns in his homework late. 

Last but not least, Jordon thought, Eddy Chen appears to get along with one of the most outgoing person that he knows. How iNterEsTinG.

Brett Yang is an absolutely extrovert. He socializes with people easily, does well in every aspect of his life except for sports, and (rumors say that) some girls in the orchestra have a crush on him even before they get to hear his beautiful violin playing. 

Jordon remembers the day he met Eddy. They were introduced to each other by their piano teacher–yes, they were taught by the same piano teacher in Brisbane, what are the chances?

"Jordon, this is Eddy Chen. Eddy, this is Jordon He. I believe that you two are at the same age...12, right?" Ms. Flores asked softly.

"Yes." Their answers synced. Jordon noticed that Eddy did not make any eye contact with him. Not even a curious glance. 

Maybe he is just shy? Jordon wondered. 

"Good. I want both of you to play that piano duet piece that you've been practicing for two months. Just try your best." said Ms. Flores.

They did not really have a small talk or a simple conversation before they started to play. 

It turned out that Eddy was not shy at all when he played. His interpretation was sentimental and powerful, which probably paint the colorful picture he had in his head. Jordon was in awe when they stopped playing. Wow. This kid can really play. No kidding.

Apparently Eddy was stunned by Jordon's piano skills, too. He finally raised his head and glanced at Jordon speechlessly. 

"That was beautiful." He finally said, quickly shifted his gaze away. 

"Thanks. You sounded really good." Jordon responded genuinely. 

"You think so?" Eddy blushed. "I also play the violin. I want to be a soloist one day."

"That's cool. Let me know if you need a piano accompanist in the future." Jordon smiled friendly. And Eddy smiled back.

Their piano teacher was very satisfied with their playing and asked them to come practice together every week before performing at her music studio.

So they met every week to rehearse together and explore better interpretation for the piece. Eddy was still very quiet and would never initiate a conversation in the first place. But he was responsive when being prompted by Jordon, who gradually learned about Eddy being bullied all the time at school. 

"That's not fair," Jordon said, as they were taking a quick break during practice. "Those kids in your school sound like stupid asshole. You should transfer to my school next year."

"You think so? Are there many kids playing instruments in your school?" 

"Hm, I am not sure what counts as 'many' but at least I know five or six of them? Oh and there is this kid who plays both violin and piano, too. He told me that he wants to become a violin soloist." 

Jordon could picture this kid's figure in his head while talking. He is a bit shorter at his age, wearing glasses, and always carrying his violin case in hands on his way to rehearsals or lessons.

"Yeah? Is he nice?" asked Eddy. 

"Super nice. And he is hilarious. I have a feeling that you guys will get along." Jordon answered with great confidence. 

"Hm, I hope I can meet him one day." Eddy said. And they resumed to practice. 

***

And Jordon remembered that a year after that conversation, a very excited Eddy rushed to him and announced that he had met a boy at math tutoring on a Friday evening then ran into each other at the very first rehearsal of the youth orchestra–literally the next morning after that math tutoring. 

"He told me that he wants to become a soloist, too!" Jordon had never seen Eddy this excited before, even when he received a position at the orchestra after the audition. He was so happy.

"Calm down, mate. You talk like a horny teenager having a crush on his first love." Jordon could not help but giggled.

"Fuck you." Eddy playfully poked Jordon's waist, still talking in a high-pitched tone. "But seriously, he is different, Jordon. Not like those jerks from my old school."

"Mm-hmm," Jordon remembered those days Eddy would come to his piano lesson with bruises and sometimes tears. "Did he tell you his name?"

"Yes!" Eddy grinned widely.

"Brett. His name is Brett Yang."

Ah, Jordon could not hide his smile. I told you that you guys will get along.

***

That was nearly three years ago, or four years? Jordon could not remember. He watched his friend became happier and happier as his friendship with Brett grew stronger. And he was definitely happy for Eddy for meeting a wonderful friend. 

So it would not be too surprising for him if the two start dating, right?

"Hey Jordon! Did you see Eddy?" Jordon was startled when Brett's anxious voice brought him back to reality.

"Oh hey Brett," Jordon snickered. Brett did not like that smile. "Are you looking for Eddy?"

"Yeah. I thought he has class later in this room so I came to find him. Did you see him?"

"He was here earlier but he just ran away. I'm not sure where he went...do you know where he usually hides himself?"

"Maybe...Thanks, Jordon. I need to go now. Text me if you see him, OK?" Brett was about to leave the classroom but froze for a second as he heard Jordon's whispering. 

"Good luck with comforting your jealous boyfriend." Jordon winked at Brett innocently.

Brett did not say anything but left the classroom with a slightly red face.

Jordon chuckled. He enjoys teasing his friends as much as supporting them nonetheless. 

There are many things that never change.

And there are also new changes to embrace.  

Jordon was definitely happy for his friends for being madly in love with each other. 

TBC.