Ch.26

Brett did not remember how he managed to celebrate his birthday after the phone call with Eddy's mom.

He could only vaguely recall that he sang the birthday song along with his family, blew out the candles with no wishes in his head, and took a few bites of the cake before making excuses to rush back to his room.

He felt pain in his chest as if his heart was bleeding for real, which he would probably laugh at and describe as cliche before if today was just a dream.

Yeah, when can I wake up from this fucking nightmare? Brett wrapped himself in his blanket tight. His phone kept buzzing and he did not even bother getting up to check since he already knew who the caller might be.

The one that is responsible for his broken heart. 

Cheating on me on my birthday, really? 

Anger, frustration, sadness, confusion...no words could perfectly capture his desperation as it was a hollow feeling after all. 

And why, Eddy? 

It hurt so bad that his tears could not even come out. What still left in his shattered heart is probably a mixture of emptiness, loneliness, and meaninglessness.

Is it because I am not a girl? 

Brett finally tasted the saltness when tears streaming down his cheeks. He felt so defeated for changing something that he had no control over. 

Is everything between us just a joke to you?

Maybe gender is an issue...maybe things had already gone wrong with that first date...maybe he should have never hugged Eddy in the first place. 

Even their first kiss just seems like a huge mistake now. Maybe they should have stayed as friends. Just friends. F-R-I-E-N-D-S.

"I love you, too, Brett." He could still hear Eddy's voice, which had brought him so much joy before. Now this statement just sounds like a lie and triggers more pain.

Why is loving someone so painful? Brett wondered and wiped away his tears. 

It was at this moment that he heard something knocking on his window. 

His first attempt was to ignore his auditory hallucination since he lived on the second floor but his intuition disagreed with his rational thought.

So he crawled out his blanket and looked over to his window, where he saw a panting, pale, nervous Eddy hanging outside.

And it was at this moment that Brett also confirmed his visual hallucination.

...Or challenged it through reality testing by unlocking the window with his trembling fingers. 

Brett did not wait until Eddy fully climbed in to lash out in anger.

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING? I can't believe that you just climbed a two-story building! Do you think that you are Spiderman or–"

Apparently Eddy did not have the patience to let Brett finish his lecture after his risky evening workout

"I NEED to see you, Brett! I am SO sorry!" He pulled Brett into a tight hug and let his guilt poured out in a flood. "I swear it was nothing like you thought between me and Toni!"

"I don't want to see your face right now. It's late and you should go home." Brett pushed Eddy away. His voice was cold and firm.

"No, Brett! WAIT!" Eddy yelled in desperation. "I know I messed up. And I know it was totally my fault for forgetting my phone at home, forgetting about your birthday dinner, and going to Toni's house. But I did not cheat on you! I swear!" Eddy hugged Brett from behind to stop him from walking away.