Ch.21

Ugh, today is really not my day. Brett thought after he walked into three people (including his chemistry teacher) when he was spacing out and walking in the hallway. 

Brett could not concentrate at all for the rest of his day even though he tried his best to stay focused. The one and only thing that occupied his mind was definitely Eddy Chen.

He sighed in silence. He began to get mad at himself for upsetting Eddy and not knowing how to make up for it. And he also failed to ask Eddy if he would be cool with helping Toni. He did not even get the chance to bring it up after he annoyed Eddy.

But before he could figure out how to cheer his boyfriend up, he probably needed to report his failed mission to someone who was still desperately waiting for updates. He sighed again and pulled out his phone.

"Hi Toni, this is Brett" -- Brett, 2:06 pm

"I talked to Eddy about your situation. But he is not in a good mood today and I am not sure if he would be willing to help out. I'm sorry!" -- Brett, 2:07 pm

"Oh hey Brett! That's fine. Thanks for trying. Is Eddy doing OK?"  -- Toni, 2:09 pm

"Yeah he's alright. I did something stupid but I know he'll get over it" -- Brett, 2:08 pm

"Hm...OK. Was he mad because you asked him about helping me out?" -- Toni, 2:10 pm

It took Brett a few seconds before replying to Toni's text. The answer is no...and yes

The answer should be 'no' because Brett did not even get to ask Eddy about helping Toni. All Eddy knew was Brett was late because a random girl grabbed him right after class to ask for help.

The answer should be 'yes' because Eddy would not have got mad at Brett for being late if Brett did not stay after class to talk to Toni. 

His phone vibrated again.

"I hope I did not put you in an awkward situation?" -- Toni, 2:13 pm

"Nah. He got mad even before I asked him about helping you out. It's not your fault at all" -- Brett, 2:14 pm

"OK! I hope he did not think that I am stealing his best friend and get jealous of me:)" -- Toni, 2:14 pm

Brett.exe has stopped working. 

He knew that Toni was obviously joking. But could it be possible that Eddy got mad because he was jealous of Toni? 

Did he think that I am going to help Toni? Wait a second...

Brett reconsidered the whole situation and recalled a few things Eddy had mentioned during their argument. 

So a girl made you late, huh? 

I guess she is cute enough to trap you and make you forget all about me then.

I guess Prince Brett is going to save her from her miserable life now?

Oh shit. Brett cursed in his head. 

He now realized that Eddy probably misinterpreted his words as he was interested in Toni so he decided to be her alternative accompanist. 

Was Eddy really being a jealous of Toni? Like, actually? Brett could not help but smile to himself. 

Eddy is really cute, isn't he? 

Brett suddenly felt the urge to see Eddy, hug him, and reassure him again and again how much he is in love with him if that was what bothered him earlier. 

He really, really wants to see Eddy now.

***

"What's up, mate? You look like you are forced to switch to viola." Jordon said to Eddy as soon as he walked into the classroom. 

Only five or six people were in this classroom, reading or napping. They would not be having their next class until one and half hour later. 

"Oh shut up." Eddy sat down next to Jordon and face-down collapsed on the desk. 

"Let me guess...hmm..." Jordon pretended that he was seriously contemplating. "Brett cheated and won when you guys were playing Mario over the past weekend?"

"What? No." That was a legit and realistic reason to be mad about though, Eddy thought. Brett sometimes cheats just to annoy him on purpose and make fun of him, which always works. 

"OK...Brett threw mushrooms in your lunchbox just now?" 

"No. Nice try." Eddy did not even bother raising his head from the desk.

"How about this one...Brett–"

"Wait, how come everything has to do with Brett?" Eddy asked impatiently. 

"Well, he is the only person that can wind you up like this as far as I know. Otherwise you just don't care." Jordon answered so quickly as if Eddy just asked the dumbest question in the world.

"Oh." Eddy said. Damn, was Jordon always this sensitive and smart?

"Ohhh I know! You guys fought, didn't you?"

"..."

"Ha! I knew it." Jordon punched on Eddy's shoulder playfully. "So what happened? Tell me everything." 

"Uh..." Eddy hesitated. He actually did not know why was he so mad at Brett, and if he was actually more mad at himself being mean to Brett. He was unsure if getting things off his chest will help sort things out but he supposed he could give it a shot.

"Nothing big, honestly. Brett was late for like 20ish minutes and he ignored my text and calls like an idiot because he was with a girl." 

"Ohhhhhh...Eddy," Jordon laughed. "So which part makes you mad? He was late? He ignored you? Or the girl?"

"All of them, I guess." Eddy said. "I mean...he could have just texted me and gave me a heads up..."

"A heads up? On what? That he is gonna be late because he is spending time with a girl? C'mon, Eddy! He is your buddy and you need to be more understanding!"

"Excuse me?" Eddy felt being attacked. "Are you saying that I deserve waiting forever when Brett is messing around with girls?"

"No, I am just saying that you need to stop acting like a jealous boyfriend unless he is your boyfriend." Jordon shrugged.

"What if he is?" Eddy immediately regretted as soon as he yelled back on impulse. 

"Wait, what?" Jordon's jaw dropped. 

"..." Shit. 

"Eddy, wait! Where are you going–" 

Ugh, today is really not my day. Eddy shook his head and run out of the classroom in frustration.

TBC.