Ch.3

Eddy genuinely believes that Brett has some sort of magical power. Not that kind of magic in movies like Harry Potter or Lord of the rings, but more natural and gentle.

Maybe it's just a Brett-thing. Eddy knew that Brett would not agree with him though.

Just like the idea of making a video of themselves, Eddy thought of other things like spending countless hours on practice, auditioning for the orchestra, going to math tutoring, or even just making friends. Eddy never thought that he would have the motivation to do so many things. And probably none of these would have happened if Eddy was not with Brett. Everything was fun as long as Brett was involved. 

Eddy knew that he had changed a lot since he met Brett. A lot. No kidding. If Brett had met him a few years early, he would probably be shocked by the way Eddy used to be. Little Eddy disliked associating with others. He would be completely forgotten on the school bus if he fell asleep and the teacher did not count the class one by one. And the moment that he hated  the most in every new class was when the teacher announced, "Alright. Let's do a quick self-introduction!" 

And he dislikes many other things, too. Mushrooms, cockroaches, out-of-tune violin-playing, viola...and humans. Humans are scarier than anything else, even ghosts. Eddy thought. 

Eddy was far from the cool kids in his school. He was unhealthily pale, skinny, and way shorter than most boys at his age. Some of his classmates made fun of him by calling him 'that violin nerd' because his violin seemed to be his best and only friend in the world. 

Eddy always thought that he does not get along with humans until he met Brett. Sometimes he doubted what made Brett different from other people, and how could they 'click' that fast. 

In Eddy's opinion, Brett is smart, outgoing, kind, fun, brave, and mature, definitely someone that everyone would like to befriend with. And Eddy has none of those characteristics. If he could be honest for once during a self-introduction, he would probably go with 'hi I am Eddy Chen, a boring dude who is nothing special. Please leave me alone. Thank you very much.'

But everything has changed since he met Brett.

At first it was just Brett's mom could not pick Brett up after their math tutoring and Eddy's mom was kind enough to offer him a ride. Then they discovered that they played in the same youth orchestra while doing some awkward small talk in the car. They also found out that they only live two blocks away from each other. 

Since then, they studied together, practiced together, went to the same math tutoring, and performed in the same orchestra. They made each other laugh. They had long conversations about family and music. They could talk nonstop for hours and never got bored. 

They, Eddy pronounced it silently in his head. It was a good feeling to be able to use this word after being a loner for so long.

Brett definitely can do magic. At least he made me a different...probably a better person. Eddy confirmed his assumption again.

***

"Uh, let's redo this part. This is too blurry." Brett said after he finished watching the clip they just filmed, which would be part of their Gangnam Style video. Making a video was actually way more complex than he thought. 

"Sure. But can we take a quick break first? I am tired." Eddy yawned, covering his mouth with his right hand. Maybe this was why he could not stop mind-wandering? Plus it was a Saturday morning and Eddy usually would not wake up until noon on weekends.

"Yeah, of course." Brett gave Eddy his phone back. They were using Eddy's Samsung Galaxy smartphone to film their video. "We can leave the practice room for a while if you want?"

"Yeah. Can we go somewhere that has air con? I am melting in this practice room..." The notorious hot weather in Australia is also something Eddy dislikes along with mushrooms and viola.

"We can go to CoCo? Or Comebuy?" Brett suggested two places that were in walking-distance and served authentic Taiwanese bubble tea that he knew Eddy likes.

"Let's do Comebuy. I am hungry. We can order one eggette and shared it together." Eddy grabbed his jacket, hesitating for one second and then hanging it back. "It's hot outside. I am just gonna leave my jacket here." 

"OK." Brett closed the door and followed Eddy. The two kept discussing about their video project on their way to the bubble tea shop.

"I think something is missing in our video. It's just not as funny as the original one." Eddy told Brett while stretching his arms.

"Yeah? What do you think we need?" Brett asked.

 "I'm not sure...Maybe it's just because we haven't edited it? Or should we wear a suit, too?" Eddy pulled out PSY's video and fast-forwarded to some of the funny scenes toward the end.   

"Well, we've got the sunglasses though. I think that should be enough. It's just too hot to wear a suit here." Brett reminded Eddy as he wiped off sweat. 

"That's true." Eddy agreed, "We also don't have a group of cute girls dancing for us just like how the Korean singer did it in his video." 

"Ohhh," Brett giggled with a sneaky face, "Sooo our video is not that funny because we don't have any cute girls in it? I totally get that, bro." 

"I don't need any cute girls as long as I have you." Eddy immediately regretted after he realized how awkward his words were. "Uhhh, no, I mean, as long as you are in the video, it will be a good one. Uh, I am not saying you are not cute because you are...uh, wait, no, that's not what I mean..." Eddy blushed. He was lost in his own words.

"Uh, I think I get it." Brett cut Eddy off to prevent him from saying something that might make him blush more. Brett was not sure if it was the crazy Aussie weather or Eddy's words made him feel hotter and sweat more though. Was Eddy trying to say that he thinks I am cute?

"Oh. Good." said Eddy. He avoided making eye contact with Brett by playing the clips that they just shot earlier. 

Since they had that conversation in the park about how important they are to each other, Eddy sometimes caught Brett staring at him for no reason. However, Eddy was able to notice that only because he was looking at Brett more often as well.

Why? Eddy could not think of any possible reasons to explain Brett's odd behavior. It would probably make more sense if Eddy were a girl. Eddy knew that Brett had a crush on a girl in the orchestra when he was fourteen or fifteen. What was the girl's name by the way? Blair? Cindy? But Brett quickly lost interest in her after they found out she is a violist. 

***

"I would never dated a violist." Brett told Eddy in the park on the day that they found out about her position in the orchestra. 

"Oh really? Even if she is super cute? Like the cutest girl ever?" Eddy asked.

"No. Never." said Brett. "I don't think I will consider someone cute if she plays the viola. Not my type anymore."

"Will our friendship come to an end if I get you a viola for your birthday someday?" Eddy was amused by his own question. 

"Don't you dare!" Brett pretended to be mad and started tickling Eddy.

"Oh my god! STOP! Ahhh!"

***

"EDDY!" Brett suddenly grabbed Eddy tightly by his waist before Eddy could understand what was going on.

"What?" Along with people's horrifying screams, Eddy heard a loud, grinding sound on his left. It sounded like a car brakes noise. 

And it sounded dangerous

TBC.