Ch.36

By the time Eddy came out of shower, Brett already dozed off like a soft koala wrapped in Eddy's pajamas. Eddy felt somewhat amused by the way Brett clung to his arm when Eddy quietly lay in bed.

"Good night, my little koala." He whispered in Brett's ear with a warm breath. The shorter boy still appeared unconscious as Eddy pressed a soft kiss on his forehead. 

Eddy drifted off to sleep before he could notice the corners of Brett mouth slid upwards.

***

"Congrats, Guo! You must be so proud of your son!"

"A friend of mine works at the Queensland Conservatory. He said that the faculty were very impressed by Brett's audition!"

"Now you've got a doctor, a lawyer, and a musician in your family...you better share your parenting tips with us so our kids can catch up!"

Everyone laughed. The Yang's were gathering at Brett's house tonight to celebrate Brett's high school graduation. 

Brett, however, was hiding outside the living room after he excused himself for grabbing more food from the kitchen. 

Ugh, I could have done more practice. He thought to himself as he sipped his bubble tea, which he considered as a legit compensation for his loss of time. 

Family gathering is fine. Brett is usually happy to see his cousins and grandparents. However, it is stressful when his uncles and aunties keep comparing their children. And Brett feels like a black-sheep for breaking the Yang's family tradition of becoming a doctor.

He recalled the party they threw for his brother when he got into medical school. It was nearly a year ago. Brett could still remembered how he got annoyed by his sister and left the party early. 

"Are you jealous that me and Bryan are doing better than you?"

"You don't want to stay and listen to dad's friends praising us, do you?"

Briana showed up right after Brett had a flashback of them arguing at Bryan's party last year. 

"Why are you standing here?" She raised an eyebrow skeptically. 

"Uh...I'm about to walk in."

"Liar. I know you hate this party. I could tell from your bored face."

Ding-ding! Briana was 100% correct. Brett frowned and did not say anything.

"Well, I'm not blaming you." Briana shrugged. "Uncle Roger always asks you to play something for the family. But the only thing he knows is The Butterfly Lovers or some random pop song. I would hide myself, too if I were you."

Brett looked at Briana in surprise. He was not sure what just happened, but this was one of those rare moments that he felt understood by his sister.

"What? You are not the only one not enjoying this kind of party." Briana walked toward the kitchen. Brett quietly followed her to continue their conversation.

"I thought you and Bryan enjoyed it? You two are the good kids in the family." Brett blurted out as soon as they made sure no one could hear them.

"I don't know about Bryan. I think the whole competition thing within our family is stupid." Briana grabbed her bubble tea from the fridge and poked a straw in. 

"So stupid." Brett nodded. 

"Anyway. I'm glad that you made it to the Conservatory. You totally deserve it." Briana took a long sip of her bubble tea to avoid making eye contact with Brett.