Ch.25

Eddy was sweating. He had been having a weird feeling in his stomach since noon but he had no idea why. And this normally happened when Eddy forgot something important. 

Maybe it was just Mom put too many chilis in the Kung Pao chicken?  Eddy wondered. Nah. That was not even that spicy...Well, poor Brett would probably disagree with him if he had joined Eddy's family for lunch today.

Eddy giggled in silence when he recalled Brett's painful face whenever he tried spicy food. Brett still looks cute even when he is under torture and about to cry. 

Not that Eddy enjoys seeing Brett suffer though. It's just–Eddy hates to admit this–Brett always looks cute no matter what he does. 

And he is mine. Eddy could not hide his smile as this thought randomly popped up in his head. Mine. My BrettyBrett. 

Eddy realized that they haven't been hanging out recently as both of them appeared to be trapped by their busy schedule. It seemed like the past week just flew by. 

I miss my koala boy. What's keeping him so busy?

He could tell that Brett is busy with something important based on his tired eyes and frequent yawns. Is it because of his uni application? Like his audition for music uni? Eddy probably did not have the rights to complain as his free time was all occupied by "practice" as well.

He suddenly jumped off the ground when he felt something icy against his cheeks. "What the hell–!?" 

A bubble tea cup was held next to his face when he turned around and heard Toni's playful smirk. 

"...Haha, so funny." Eddy tried to mimic Brett's deadpan face. Brett loves to scare Eddy like that as well. God, he missed Brett so much that literally everything reminded him of Brett.

"Sorry. You seem really focused and that makes me want to scare you." Toni handed over the bubble tea with a genuine smile. "Here–this is my treat. Thanks for being my accompanist today! You did a great job!"

"Oh thanks. I also think you played really well." Eddy eventually agreed to help out probably because of guilt? He felt bad about yelling at Brett and decided to make up for it by helping Toni. Eddy knew Brett too well that he could see Brett go help Toni despite his busy schedule. 

It might also because you did not want Brett to spend time with Toni alone cuz you'll be jealousy as fuck. Eddy tried to ignore the voice in his head as it might be too true to hear. He spent his whole week on practicing his part and rehearsing with Toni after school since the performance was only a week away.

"Thank you! Do you have plans for tonight?" Toni asked as they waited for Toni's father to pick them up. He picked up Eddy earlier today before the gig and offered to give him a ride back afterwards. 

"I'm not sure..." Eddy remembered Brett's disappointing groan when he told him that Toni's gig for her church is this Sunday afternoon. Maybe he could still go hang out with Brett in the evening if he finishes his chemistry homework early.

"Can I invite you for dinner with me and my family?"

Eddy almost dropped his bubble tea when he heard Toni's question.

"W-what?"

"My dad said that he wanted to thank you for your help. I will be so screwed if I need to perform this piece without an accompanist in front of everyone in my church, you know."

"Uh..." Eddy was hesitant. He usually won't say no to free meals but it might be too late to go see Brett if he agrees to go. "I'm not sure if my mom wants me to go home for dinner."

"You can tell her on the phone on our way to my house. C'mon, we are having Korean hot pot tonight! " Toni waived cheerfully when she saw her dad's silver Toyota. 

"Okay..." Eddy felt like he could not say no since Toni's dad is driving him home. He put his hand in his pocket but did not find his phone as expected. 

Oh shit.

Eddy realized that he forgot his phone at home when he overslept until noon and needed to get ready in 20 minutes before Toni's dad arrived. 

Oh so that was why I had this strange feeling all day long? I am such an idiot.

"Toni, can I borrow your phone? I think I might have forget my phone at home..." Eddy felt embarrassed. 

Toni laughed and handed her phone to Eddy before they got in the car. 

***

Brett was walking back and forth in his room with a concerned face. 

"Hey mate, do you remember what day it is today?"––Brett, 4:40 pm

Eddy never texts him back...He knew that Eddy had to be at Toni's church for her gig this afternoon but they should be done at 5 pm, which was 3 hours ago.

Did he really forget? Why is he ignoring my text like this?

He sighed and reluctantly gave Eddy's mom a call.

"Good evening Mrs. Chen, this is Brett...Is Eddy home?"

"Oh hi Brett. Eddy went to a friend's house for dinner...hm, Toni? Do you know her?"

Eddy went to Toni's house for dinner? What? Brett's mind went blank.

"...Yeah, I know Toni. Can you ask him to give me a callback when he comes home? Maybe his battery is dead. I need to talk to him about something."

"Yeah. He even used his friend's phone to call me today...by the way," Mrs.Chen asked carefully, "Do you know anything about Toni? Are they dating?"

Brett swore that he did not breathe for at least 3 seconds.

No. Not Toni. I am dating your son. Thank you very much.

"Uh, I, I don't know. Maybe just ask Eddy when you see him?" He felt dry in his mouth and he hoped Mrs.Chen did not notice his shaky voice. 

"You're right. I am sorry. I am just very curious as Eddy never mentions any girls...oh, I just heard something from the front door. I think Eddy just got home. He will call you very soon, OK?"

"That'll be great. Thank you, Mrs. Chen. Have a nice evening." Brett mumbled and hung up.

What the fuck is going on, Eddy?

Unfortunately, Brett did not have enough time to process all his doubts. He was startled when his sister knocked on the door. 

"Hey is Eddy coming? Mom said we better eat your birthday cake now then get ready for bed soon."

"OK. I'm coming!"

Brett closed the door and left his phone in his now all dark bedroom. His screen remained unlocked.

"You know today is March 03 right?"––Brett, 4:41 pm

(no response)

TBC.