Intermission: Is Love At First Sight Real?

Winter in Brisbane is generally dry and chilly. That been said, Brett was not expecting to see rains pouring nonstop outside the music studio after his violin class.

"Wow, I haven't see that much rain in a while. Let me give your mom a call and see if she is on her way. Just wait in the lobby and don't go outside, okay?" Brett was left alone as his violin teacher went back to her office to make the call. 

"Okay." Mom was probably stuck in traffic again. Brett thought and answered quietly. 

He gently placed his violin case on the couch as he sat by the window. It was a small 1/2 size violin, which worked well for for a 8 year-old kid like Brett. 

Brett does not like rain. But Rainy days also felt so familiar. He could smell fresh soil from the opened window. 

He could also smell a mix of sweat and food from the night market if he closed his eyes. He could even smell the hustle and bustle of Taipei City. 

Could it be that he doesn't like rainy days because it reminds him of Taipei? 

His conversation with his mom on another rainy day suddenly popped up in his head.

***

"When can we go home, Mom?"

"We'll be home in like 20 minutes, sweetheart.The traffic is not too bad today."

"No. I mean 'home' home. When can we go back to our 'real home' in Taipei?"

"Australia is our home now, Brett. It's your home, too. We will go visit Taipei over summer breaks."

"But I don't like Australia. I miss all my friends in Taipei. I miss grandpa. Why didn't grandpa come with us?"

"Brett," Mom's tone became a bit sad. "Grandpa...he fell asleep and will never wake up again."

"Why?"

"Because he is old and he needs more rest."

"But he said that he wants to listen to me playing the violin! Do you think he can still hear it in his sleep?" 

"Of course, Brett...Of course he can hear it. Just keep practicing...and he will hear you."

***

Brett did not know why Mom cried and smiled at the same time that day. But grandpa's wish has been what motivated him to keep practicing every day since then.

Loud raindrops filled his ears from thumping away on the roof, which was so steady that Brett felt like he might be able to identify the tempo if he tried. 

"Is it 122? Or 135?" Brett was startled when another boy broke the silence. 

"What?" He stared at this other boy who had probably been in this lobby with Brett for God knows how long. Brett noticed that he was holding a violin case.

"Sorry, I was just thinking maybe I can figure out the tempo of raindrops." the boy clarified. Brett wondered if he just read his mind. Wow.

"May I sit there?" The boy pointed at the couch with his violin case.

Brett nodded and watched him jumped off his chair to join Brett on the couch. 

"That's an E." He smiled to Brett innocently while listening to the raindrops pounding the roof. 

That was a beautiful smile. Brett thought. "You have perfect pitch?"

"Yeah. You, too?"

"No, I don't." Brett shrugged. "But I also play the violin just like you."

"How do you know I play the violin?" For some reasons the other boy seemed blushed. 

Brett chuckled. "Well, unless you hide a viola inside your violin case?"

They laughed together. 

"I don't like rainy days." the boy sighed. 

"Me, either." Brett echoed. 

"Really? Why?"

"I don't know...Maybe because rain reminds me of things that I want to forget?"

"Like what?"

"Like...my hometown? It rains a lot there."

"Why do you want to forget your hometown? Isn't that your home?"

"Because I can't go back. My family moved to Brisbane two years ago."

"Same! I just got here like, three months ago? Tell me more about your hometown."

"Well...summer is hot and humid, not like here...well, it's actually winter now cuz it's June. Ugh, Australia is so weird."

"I know right?!" The boy was so excited that he moved closer to Brett unconsciously. His hair smelled like a mix of pepper mint and lemon grass. "I miss Taiwan so much..."

"Dude! I am from Taiwan, too!" Brett couldn't believe what just happened. What are the chances of meeting someone abroad who is from the same country and also plays the violin? Plus that they seemed at the same age. 

They quickly switched to chatting and joking in Mandarin Chinese, and were both not aware of how fast the time flew by. Their conversation was interrupted by Brett's mom as she finally showed up to pick Brett up. 

It was not until Brett got in to his mom's car that he realized he forgot to ask this boy's name. 

When will I see you again, perfect pitch boy?

He noticed that he was not wondering if they would find each other or not, but when will they meet again. He had a feeling that they will run into each other again in the future. 

I really want to listen to his playing. Brett thought. He looked through the car window and noticed that it finally stopped raining. 

Brett still does not like rain. 

He does not like the humid air, gloomy sky, and the cold winds that make him tremble and feel alone. 

He also does not enjoy missing his hometown and everything that he had left behind since he moved to Brisbane. 

However, Brett smiled to himself, maybe I can start to like rain a little bit since I 'met' you on a rainy day, perfect pitch boy.

For the first time in Brett Yang's life, rain reminds him of something, or someone, that he would love to remember deeply with all his heart. 

***

I read about Chopin's secret love for soprano Konstancja Gładkowska and was inspired by the piece he wrote about his feelings for her (Chopin: Piano Concerto No. 2, Larghetto). So I decided to write something sweet though Valentine's Day is already over:)