Ch.13

Brett thought that nothing has really changed between Eddy and him since their first date. 

They saw and greeted each other at school, during rehearsals, and math tutoring. 

They chatted about AMEB exams, video ideas, practice, and random school stuff.

They invited one of their mutual friends to be part of their video. And they talked about making music covers for movies and animines they both liked.

Everything is going just fine.

...unless Eddy accidentally brushed Brett's arms while laughing together at some viola jokes.

... or when Brett got caught by Eddy for staring at him and Eddy just smiled back.

...or when Eddy naturally rested on Brett's shoulder when he fell asleep on the bus.

Brett knew that his face must be flushed during those moments but everything is going just fine. Blushing in front of your best friend is not a big deal. It is totally fine–

"Are you okay, mate?" 

They were gasping at the corner of the gym after finishing up their PE class the other day.

"Yeah. Why?" Brett usually spaced out during PE classes so he was not sure what Eddy was referring to.

"Bro, you seem sick this week. I could tell." Eddy answered while grabbing and drinking from Brett's water bottle. 

His action was so natural that it seemed like he was drinking from his own water bottle.

"Nah. I'm alright." Brett tried to look away and ignored the idea that they just had an indirect kiss. 

Yeah. I am definitely lovesick. Thanks for noticing, Doctor Chen.

"Liar. You look like you are having a fever every day." Eddy poked the shorter boy's cheeks playfully and, all of sudden, leaning closer.

Wait wait wait what is happening—

Brett froze and stared at Eddy's lips as his face quickly approaching Brett's.

"Bro, your forehead is warm. You sure that you don't need to go home early today? I can let Mr. Owen know and he will be cool with it." Eddy suggested after checking Brett's temperature with his forehead.

"Y-yeah. Uh, no. I mean, I am fine." Brett mumbled and slightly turned his head away. 

How on earth he would think that Eddy was gonna kiss him? He hoped that Eddy did not notice his embarrassment from his voice. Thank god that he got a deadpan face.  

"Alright. Just don't get sick before this weekend." Eddy shrugged.

"What's so special about this weekend?" Brett raised one eyebrow in curiosity.

"Oh, it's just," Eddy suddenly talked quietly. "Uh, I was thinking about asking you out this Saturday..."

Brett did not say anything. He just stared at Eddy's cheeks as they gradually turned red.

"Oh shit, I should probably just ask you instead of telling you what I was thinking..." Eddy felt like he had already messed up. "Uh, this might sound odd...but I was gonna ask you out, uh..."

"...as a date, you know."  He finally finished his sentence.

Brett tried very hard to resist the temptation of pressing his friend against the wall to kiss him.

"Okay."

"Okay?" 

"I mean, sure, I'll go on a date with you if that's what you are asking?" Brett chuckled and grabbed his water bottle from Eddy to drink some water.

"Oh. Right."

Brett could not stop giggling. 

Jeez, having a crush on your best friend is the worst. And it is also not very good for your health.

This was Brett's conclusion after he experienced increased heart rate, frequent mood swings, difficulties concentrating, and hypervigilance all at once when all he did was simply having a ten-minute conversation with Eddy.

Everything is going just fine. Nothing has really changed between us. 

Brett tried to convince himself as he took a few deep breaths. 

At least he believed so.

TBC.