Ch.16

Brett made sure that Eddy was not around anymore and breathed a sigh of relief.

So this is it. Our second date. He smiled to himself. 

Also, it was Eddy asking him out for a date this time. 

Similar to how Eddy explored zoo animals with his 'UWU face', Brett could not take his eyes off Eddy all day. Eddy's innocent smile, infectious laughter, cute expression...Brett might not remember much about animals but he remembered everything he learned about Eddy today.

Eddy's favorite ice cream flavor is chocolate.

Eddy's favorite color is pink. But he also thinks blue is okay.

Eddy does not like mushrooms. Brett laughed as Eddy struggled with getting rid of all the mushrooms on his pizza.

Eddy wants to travel around the world. And he'd love to do that with Brett.

Eddy cannot swim. Just like Brett. But he'd be down for a beach trip someday. 

Eddy likes koalas and he thinks Brett is like a koala though Brett does not know why.

Brett mindlessly passed some fancy keychains and mugs as he kept thinking of Eddy.

Part of him wanted to just spill the tea and confess his feelings to Eddy while the other part of him worried about ruining their precious friendship.

Brett was never so sure about something like this. He knew that he likes Eddy and he wants to...maybe bring their relationship to the next level. A romantic level.

But Brett was also unsure how would Eddy react to that...He knew that both him and Eddy grew up in a very traditional Asian family that always asks them to prioritize family and meet parental expectations.

'You need to make the family proud, Brett.'

Brett always thought that he would find a girl someday, build a family, and maybe have kids or something. At least his mom anticipated him to do so.

Does that mean I am gay if I want to be with Eddy? Or bi? Brett did not have an answer. He was too scared to think about it. And he honestly did not think too much about his personal life as all he had been focusing on was music.

Right. And music is taking me away from Eddy. Brett's mouth twisted into a bitter smile. 

He has been preparing to apply to Queensland Conservatorium, which means that he will probably be gone next year. 

How ironic. Music brings them together but also keeps them apart.

Even though he does not get in, he is still graduating high school a year early than Eddy.

This is such a bad timing to confess to Eddy. And Brett has no idea how long-distance relationship works and–

Wait, am I just assuming that Eddy will agree to be in a re-, uh, like being in a relationship with me once I confess? Brett was speechless. How could he be so confident about it? 

Well, Eddy did not seem to reject or avoid him after he kissed him on impulse.

And Eddy seemed very used to their physical contacts recently. Does that mean he likes it?

Also, Eddy was the one that asked Brett to hug him again after that night at the park. Maybe he wanted it, too?

The fact that they had been on two dates and things seemed to go well made Brett feel hopeful.

Maybe I should just tell him...maybe everything will be fine...maybe–

All of a sudden, a hedgehog stuffed animal popped up in front of Brett's nose and Brett nearly jumped into the air.  

"Holy moly! You scared me, bro!" Brett was gasping while Eddy giggled and handed him the furry stuffed animal.

"Sorry, mate. I was trying to surprise you." Eddy apologized but he was still giggling. "Hold it. I bought this for you."

"You got me a hedgehog?" Brett was surprised. He could felt the soft fur of the little hedgehog stuffed animal in his palm.

What does that mean, Eddy? Are you giving yourself to me as a gift? 

Of course Brett was not brave enough to ask that question.

"Well, I was planning on getting you something you like. I know you said that you like eagles but I thought..I mean, eagles are not very cute. So I decided to get you this hedgehog. I mean, hedgehogs are much cuter than eagles, and, oh, and your birthday is coming up, too..."

Eddy did not know why he started to ramble like this. Being around Brett sometimes made him nervous, which was also a new feeling that Eddy did not know how to deal with.

"Uh, anyway. I just want to give you something so you will remember this date. Something you can bring with you when you are gone for uni next year. Something that will remind you of...uh..." 

"You?"

Eddy was silent for a second before he gave up making something up.

"...Yeah."

"Because I call you a hedgehog?"

"...Yeah."

"So that's the real reason that you picked a hedgehog, not an eagle for me. Am I right?"

"...Yeah."

"..."

"..."

Both of them were silent for a few seconds.

OK. Screw it, gay or long-distance. I don't fucking care anymore.

"Eddy, can I be your boyfriend?"

"...Yeah." 

And here comes more silence until–

"Wait, WHAT? Did you just–? Did I just–?"

"I'll take that as a 'yes', boyfriend." 

Damn, how could I not fall in love with this adorable little hedgehog? 

TBC.