Ch.11

"Don't look until I tell you to take the headband off."

"Where are you going?" 

"You will find out soon." Eddy heard Brett's footsteps disappearing into the distance.

This place was too quiet for a concert. Eddy wondered about his location. Well, but the texture of the chair felt like those fancy crimson auditorium chairsDid Brett take him to a movie theatre?

Nah. He would have smelled popcorns if Brett took him out for a movie date.

"You can take it off now." Is Brett's voice always this deep?

So Eddy got rid of the Naruto forehead protector and opened his eyes. Everything was blurry until his eyes adjusted to the brightness.

And all he saw was Brett standing on the stage with his violin.

Eddy realized that they were at the empty auditorium in their school. None of the lights were on but Brett's face was lightened up by several candles on the stage.

Oh and he was in a nice suit. Black and formal.

"So this is the concert?"

"If you don't mind?"

Eddy gave him his most fetching smile.

Brett took a deep breath. "Well, welcome to your 'private concert' then." He hesitated and decided not to bow since Eddy was his only audience. Then he began to play.

Eddy recognized the piece as soon as Brett finished the first three bars. It was the same one that Ray Chen played at the Menuhin Competition last year, Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor, Op.64.

Brett had mentioned to Eddy that he was working on this piece but Eddy had never heard him play. As a violinist himself, Eddy knew that Brett must have been practicing so hard just based on the quality of his performance. 

Eddy felt like he could see colors as he listened to Brett's performance. Warm, bright colors dancing in the air with teeny-tiny steps before shattering into thousands of sparks. Unlike Ray Chen presenting this piece with intense passion and energy, Brett's interpretation was more gentle but still vivid and sparkling. Eddy could see the shimmering water on the southern bank of the Brisbane River as if he was drifting on the river. Ah, that must be where Mendelssohn wrote 'tranquillo' in the music. Eddy guessed. 

As Eddy gazed in awed silence, he struggled with solely focusing on the music because Brett was so distracting. He had seen Brett in a suit before at the orchestra but Brett looked damn good today. Eddy was not sure if it was the effect of the romantic candle lights or just the date vibes, but Brett seemed glowing, or even dazzling in his eyes.

Holy shit. You seem so ready to propose to me, Bretty. Eddy chuckled. He felt both special and impressed about the fact that Brett planned this date like how someone would plan a romantic proposal. This was also the first time that someone dressed up just for him and serenaded him with beautiful violin solo. 

Was Brett thinking of me when he was practicing? Eddy missed a heartbeat when this random thought popped up in his head. He tried to pay more attention on Brett's performance by closing his eyes. 

The soft, slightly wavering lights turned into a starry night during the second movement. Stillness, peace, serenity...Eddy thought about many words to describe his current state of mind but none of them seemed to accurately capture how he felt. 

Eddy knew that Brett was playing this piece with all his heart and taking the risk to explore and adventure into the unknown. And it also felt like Brett had so much to say to him but he also did not know how.

Is that how Brett feels? Being overwhelmed by mix feelings? 

Eddy opened his eyes and caught Brett gazing at him. Was he staring at me like this the whole time?  A small grin appeared on Brett's face while he locked eyes with Eddy. Oh my god no flirting during performance pleassse. Eddy needed to look away to stop himself from blushing. 

And now the fireworks begin. Eddy almost forgot to breathe as Brett's fingers started flying like skipping stones on water after he was a few lines into the third movement. His sound was so pure that each of the notes he played seemed to be crystal clear. Just as genuine as Brett. 

What Eddy just heard was probably a long, authentic confession of all the feelings that Brett had for him. They were all in his music. And Eddy was completely lost. He was lost in the waves of emotions, Brett's sparkling eyes, and all the warm memories he had with Brett. 

You made my life magical, Brett. 

Eddy did not notice that Brett had finished playing until Brett walked up to him. "Eddy?"

The final note of the concerto was still echoing in Eddy's head. His world was spinning and he felt dizzy. He knew that he needed to say something but he was speechless for so many reasons.

"You did not have a deadpan face when you played. At least not today." Eddy did not know why this was the first thing that came out. Ugh.

"I think that was only because I was playing for you." 

Okay you flirty idiot. Eddy felt he died a little bit inside. 

"...Thank you." He almost bit his tongue. "It was...amazing. Really. I don't even know how to describe how good it was. You nailed it."

"I am glad that you like it." Brett's cheeks were stained pink. "I tried to make it special...I mean, you know, for our first date."

Eddy was pretty sure that Brett could hear his heart pounding like crazy right now. "Thanks, mate. I will also, uh, try my best next time."

Brett chuckled as he wiggled an eyebrow. "Was that your way of asking me out for a date?"

Eddy's eyes widened. But he did not get the chance to respond as Brett leaned over and closed his soft lips with his.

TBC.