Chapter 30

Mani: your child decided it would be a good idea to jump out of a moving car. She okay, no injuries but I scolded her and she appears pretty upset. I don't know if you want me to bring her home or anything as I know you need a day to yourself but I just thought I'd let you know.

Lauren's eyes were wide as she stares down at her iPhone from her place stood in front of the bath tub. What? Camila had jumped out of a car? A moving one? She-just-what? Did her child have a death wish or something?

Shaking herself out of the shock she felt, she types back a reply.

Lauren: I don't think today was a good day to have her go with you. Bring her back. I think we need to talk.

After locking her phone and placing it down onto the side, she drains the tub filled with hot water with a disappointed sigh. Oh well. At least she got some cleaning done today.

Her phone pings just a second later, and as she picks it up she was met with a simple 'on our way' response from Normani. Abandoning her plans to take a hot bath and relax with a book for a few hours, she pockets the device in hand and makes her way down to the kitchen with the intention of making some much needed coffee.

By time she had two cups of the scolding liquid ready, the door opens greeting her with an annoyed looking Normani and an almost hysterical looking Camila. Setting both drinks down onto the dining table, she and the woman share a look as she takes her baby into her arms.

"Mama" the sobbing girl chokes out as she grips tightly to the back of Lauren's shirt, her legs giving out prompting the woman to ease her up into her arms with a supporting arm underneath her backside.

She doesn't say anything though. She didn't know what she could say to sooth the sobbing girl in her arms. She was blank. Her mind empty. Closing her eyes for a second almost as if she was preparing herself for something, she sends Normami a knowing look before heading up the stairs.

She decides that right now, Camila needed to take a nap. She was overwhelmed, overwrought and most importantly, overtired and there was no point in trying to talk sense into her right now.

Once she makes it to her room, she eases the small frame down onto the bed and pulls off her shoes, "are you dry?" She questions almost silently, reaching for the waistband of the skinny jeans before pulling them down and tossing them to the floor.

Camila sniffles and nods her head.

"Okay. Mama wants you to sleep for a while- uh uh, not right now baby." She grasps the little hands that make their way down her shirt, knowing exactly the girl wanted but not in the mood to give it to her.

The small girl yet again dejectedly nods her head, turning away from the woman and burrowing herself into the blankets not wanting her to see the look of complete rejection lingering on her features.

Lauren sighs and rests a hand on the back of her head for a brief second before turning around and leaving the room. She closes the door quietly behind her, and once sure she wouldn't be followed she begins to descend the stairs.

Normani was still at the bottom by time she makes it to the last step, and with a forced smile, she leads her through to the dining room and both woman were soon sat down with their drinks

"So, any idea why she did what she did?" Lauren was the first to break the silence. Sure she knew Camila was a little upset about leaving today but she had no idea she was upset enough to jump out of a moving vehicle.

Normani sighs before swallowing her mouthful of coffee, "I have no idea. She just...i mean...I don't know. She was a little sad about leaving you, but surely that's not an excuse? I don't know. I think you're just gonna have to talk to her later because I'm honestly just as clueless as you are" she gives up with trying to explain her thoughts.

Lauren nods. Looks like that's what she was gonna have to to do.

**

Chapters will be longer from now on. I hope you enjoyed.