Dare Me (Part 2 - Alexis)

The line stretches around the block and the Los Angeles heat causes sweat to build up and start a trail down my back. "It's a thousand degrees out here" I say lifting my hair off of my neck. "I'll look like a melted clown by the time we get into this place" "Brennen will be here soon" "What's Brennen gonna do with the heat?" She rolls her eyes. "Nothing, but he is going to get us past this line" She looks ahead, biting her cherry colored lip. "How?" "Ask him when he gets here. You haven't talked to him in forever" I cross my arms and examine the chipped maroon nail polish on my nails, feeling bad I've been so consumed in my own misery. I've neglected the two people who care about me the most. Regardless, the amount I'd rather be bundled up in my bed, not having to deal with people right now is larger than the ache in my feet from being in these damn shoes. A girl bumps into me from behind. "Sorry" She says. I give a weak smile. Damn people. I flick the last piece of polish off and exhale loudly. "Claire, this is taking too long. My feet already hurt in the stupid heels." "Stop complaining. The shoes make your legs look longer. You know us short girls gotta do what we can." "Well, I'll probably be holding them before the end of the night. Give me a shot" I say, looking at her bag and holding out my hand. I know I'm moaning and groaning a lot, but I hate pointy heels, I hate this heat, and I hate that I've had to leave the safe comfort of my bed. She opens her bag and hands me a small bottle of fireball before she twists the cap off another. "To getting out of the house" She says with a smile. I hit her little bottle with mine. "To getting back in it" She rolls her eyes, and with a smirk I tip the bottle back, grimacing at the warm cinnamon taste. She puts the now empty bottles back into her purse and we continue to stand in line. I wonder what my ex is doing right now. Probably having an orgy. I really should have seen it coming. He worked all the time at his dad's law firm, he said he was working late. Who knows now? How did I not see this.

Because you're an idiot - my subconscious says.

I'm not an idiot. I was comfortable...

You were an Idiot

Shut up

Anyways, the best thing I ever did besides get out of that soul sucking house I grew up in was move back into my once shared apartment with my best friend and the second person I met when I moved to Los Angeles, California, The first was Brennen but that's a story for another time. "There's Brennen" Claire says hitting me with the side of her elbow and interrupting the internal conversation going on in Alexis land. Brennen walks across the street in worn black jeans and a blue jean t-shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. Boots with relaxed laces over his feet, and a toothpick hangs loosely from his lips. His brown hair looks beach dried like he just left the beach. He grins when he nears us. "Why are you two standing in this long ass line?" "We were waiting on you" Claire says, like duh. "Sorry I got held up," He says. "Come on. I know the owner" "You know the owner?" I ask, grimacing when we start walking, because damn, these shoes. He looks over at me. "Yeah, I've been doing some merch deals with him. Which you'd know if you wouldn't have been acting like the world ended because your relationship with that piece of shit did" I flinch. "I've been a shitty friend" He gives me a sideways glance. "Okay, a very shitty friend. Sorry-" Claire cuts in, "Yes , a very shitty friend. So the guy told Brennen he would always be on the list and bring whomever he wanted" She grins excitedly, causing me to smirk. The people in line stare us down as we pass the bouncer. I avoid eye contact. "Can I help you?" He says in a deep baritone voice. "Brennen Taylor. I should be on the list there for me and two guests," he says, lifting his chin at the list and tossing his toothpick. The big man flips the page and scans down. He looks back up at us and nods. "Welcome to Red." I look over at Claire and she shrugs, like...told ya, as the man unhooks the velvet rope and we walk inside. The hallway is covered in red velvet carpet, and a thin rope of purple lights between the wall and mirrored ceiling illuminate the way as we grew closer to the all black doors. We are silent as the doors slide open, revealing the club, and I marvel at how enormous it is. Longer than it is wide and two stories tall. A bar stretches down the entire left side of the club with a glowing red wall of heavy liquor filled glass shelves. My eyes travel to the staircase, which rests to the far right side where a man stands at the bottom. A well fitted black leather jacket covers his upper body. The arms on this guy are the size of tree trunks cross over his wide chest. His head tilts a tad as his eyes tighten, and then he looks across the club.

Right

At

Me