Dare Me (Part 28 - Alexis)

I roll my eyes. "This is ridiculous. I'm not having this conversation with you." I unfold my arms and turn, throwing my hands down my outer thighs in frustration. "Because you know it's true." He stands, sliding the chair across the floor, causing me to look back as he comes closer, and for once I see it. I see the hurt in his eyes. "Mark, I told you I loved you," I say lowly. He laughs once. "When?" I swallow, thinking back on our relationship. My mind flashes to all the times he told me. I scan my eyes over the floor. I must have said it. Wait, did I ever say it? My eyes widen as realization hits me. I never said it back. I always kissed him or just smiled or changed the subject. Oh my God. What is wrong with me? I trace my lip with my finger. "See?" he says, causing my eyes to jump to his lifted brow. "You didn't tell me. Not once." He rubs his chin and exhales. "I know we had our issues, but I don't think I was the reason for our breakup, Lexi." I skim over his face, his green eyes and ash blond hair. "You have a problem, and I know your past has something to do with it." "Don't bring my past into this." "Your past was always into this, Lexi," he says sadly. He shakes his head and sighs. "I didn't come here to upset you. I needed... hell, you left so suddenly, I guess I needed some kind of closure." As he runs his hand over his short, gelled hair, the bell above the door dings. I look around him. Shit. Mark looks back, and Colby narrows his eyes. The room grows small, and my heart races. Mark places his gaze back on me. "Is this your new guy?" My silence is his answer. He smirks, but I see the pain. I've hurt this man. And I don't think it was either of our faults. Sometimes life deals you a hand that's unfair, but at least it's dealt you something, I guess. "Lexi, everything okay here?" Colby asks, his voice deep, sending chills over my skin. He stands tall behind us in his gray sweatpants and a clean white T-shirt. "Everything's fine," Mark says, still looking at me. "Take care of yourself, Lexi." He leans in, and I flinch when he kisses me on the cheek. He swallows as he turns, and I look to Colby who doesn't take his eyes off the damage I've caused. Mark nods, looking at him, too. "You watch out for this one. She burns," he says, giving me a quick glance back before shoving the door open and disappearing. I'm split open for everyone to see all of my fucked-up-ness.