Dare Me (Part 45 - Alexis)

The elevator dings, and I step off, walking to Colby's front door. I dropped Claire off with Brennen and decided to swing by because Colby's phone is going straight to voicemail. I've only been here once. But there's only one door up on his floor, so it's not like I can pick the wrong one. I knock twice and wait. "Coming," I hear a woman say. Is that Katrina? It would be nice to see her again. She was super swe... The door opens, and my thoughts vanish. Who is this? "Can I help you?" she asks. Her dirty blonde hair is pulled away from her pale face, and her eyes stand out against her overpowering cheekbones. I see fine lines around them and wrinkles above her lips. She's older. Skinny as hell and that sweater she wears almost swallows her. But it's something about her eyes... Something familiar I can't place. I wring my fingers. "Um, yeah. Is Colby here?" She tilts her head, scanning her eyes over me curiously. "Actually, no, he isn't at the moment, but he said he would be home for lunch. Would you like to wait?" I look behind me, not sure of what to do. "I won't bite," she says with a small smile. It seems genuine enough. "I guess. If you don't mind." She moves so I can walk past. The apartment looks even bigger than it did the last time I was here. Enormous ceilings with wooden planks and a colossal wall of windows that look out onto the whole city. The dark wood floor gives the place a cozy vibe, and the pillow back cream-colored couches make the floors pop. I look to the open kitchen with its stone counter-tops as she walks back to the stove. She opens the oven and looks at whatever it is she has in there. "Smells good," I say. She turns and gives me a small smile, and then she smacks her forehead. "I'm so sorry," she says, shutting the door and turning all the way around. My eyes grow wide at her apology because I'm not sure what she is apologizing for. "I didn't even tell you who I am. I'm Lesa. Colby's mother." Even with an outburst like that, her voice is still soft. Oh right, introductions. "I'm Alexis," I reply. She tilts her head a tad as she studies me again. "Are you just friends with my son? Or...?" This time I feel stupid. "Oh, uh, yeah... I'm his girlfriend." I feel my cheeks redden. Obviously, she knows nothing about us because her son apparently never mentioned me. That doesn't make me feel any type of way. And I have no idea who she is either because Colby told me she'd gotten beat up, but never mentioned the part where she lived with him. Or stayed...or what the hell ever. Where's Katrina, anyway? "Oh." She nods her head and fidgets with the bottom of her sweater. I find myself nodding my head, too, as I look around. Placing my fingers down on the counter, I pull my sleeves over my palms. Say something, dummy. This is so awkward. I clear my throat. "So, what's cooking?" Her eyes shoot to mine, like thank God you saved this weird-ass moment. She smiles and walks over to the cookbook on the counter-top. "It's a Southwestern casserole. I know Colby is a very healthy boy, but I'm hoping he'll try it." "It smells great. I'm sure he'll eat it." "I hope he'll be home soon. It'll be ready in five minutes." Now I feel like I'm intruding, and the awkwardness starts again. If I can't get along with his mom, then how in the hell is this going to work? I could tell when he spoke of her she meant something to him... like most moms do to their kids. Not mine, but most people. "You cook often?" I ask. "Oh, I used to back when..." She stops herself and puts a stray hair behind her ear. "Well, I used to when the boys were kids. It's been a while. I'm glad to be back doing it." I smile. "Yeah, my best friend, Claire, loves to cook. She's actually a chef at a new restaurant a few blocks from here." "Oh, really? That's great. It's so important to do what you love." "Yes," I agree with a smile. See, that wasn't so bad. We're making progress. We both turn when the door opens and in walks none other than Gage. Wow, it's a family affair. Where the heck is Colby? "Harrison," he says, looking at me, and then his eyes go to her. His face turns pale, and he looks thrown off. "Mom?" It comes out in a rushed breath. I look between the two. He slightly shakes his head and runs a hand over it. His eyes narrow like he isn't sure what he's seeing. I'm totally confused. Did he not know she was here either? "Gage, my boy," she says and runs over to him with a hand over her mouth. He looks completely stunned when she throws her arms around him, and his eyes go to me before looking down at the floor. He doesn't put his arms around her but stands there like Christ the Redeemer.

As if he dares touch her, she'll be real.

Pain shows on his face, but then something I've yet to see takes over.

Anger. Pure, utter anger.