Dare Me (Part 22 - Colby)

My brother's drunk and kissing some girl.  "Why the fuck do you keep doing that shit?" I ask, kicking his calf. He shrugs. "I just can't think of a reason not to. Have one. Lighten the hell up for once in your life." The girl takes the rolled-up Benjamin from his hand and licks his finger clean after he wipes the powder off her skin. I rub my chin and take a sip of my whiskey. Gage leans back, rubbing his nose as he does. "Look, brother, I was the perfect motherfucker for seven of the eight years I served. I've done my part. I've seen shit that..." He stops and stares down at the floor as though his mind has taken him back. A deep wrinkle sets between his brows, and pain appears in raw form on his face. "Is that why you did what you did?" I ask. We never talk about Gage's time away, but I know it's messed him up. That and our fucked-up childhood. He blinks away bad memories and shakes his head while reaching for his beer on the table. "I just want to have a little fun for a while. Forget about some things. Okay?" My eyes search his face for a moment and then I say, "Okay." High on cocaine, Gage pulls the same girl onto his lap and whispers something into her ear. She giggles, and I look in front of me. Gage isn't like me. He's more carefree. I know I'm the way I am because I have a lot of anger inside of me. There's a constant fire in my chest, slow burning, churning. Hitting the bag helps relieve some of that, but every now and again it slips out, reminding me of who I am and what I came from. I lean back as lights dance around us, over our faces and across the floor. Naked women walk around, giving me lust-filled eyes. The music from the club vibrates my bones, and the alcohol relaxes me. "You wanna play, Colby?" One smiles and balances on my thighs as she bends her knees. Her pussy spreads when her knees part, giving me a view of everything. I lean up, surprising her. My face is close to hers. She's beautiful, but my dick doesn't respond. In fact, it's only been responding to a certain woman lately. Sadly, this isn't helping like I hoped it would. I look down at her lips and whisper, "You wanna be fucked?" She scrapes her teeth over her ruby red lips. How about getting me another drink?" I say, dismissing her and sitting back. Her shoulders slump, but she stands and heads to the bar. Sheer curtains are in front of the two-way glass mirror, and as the girl brings me a Scotch, I see smoky gray eyes laughing. What is she doing here? I tip my drink back before setting it down on the table and standing. "Where are you going?" I look over at Gage, his pants undone and two girls kissing all over him. "Have fun, brother. I've got someone I need to talk to." He moves the girls away and stands up. "Wait, you're leaving all of this?" he says as if he can't believe it."Yeah, I saw someone I know down there." He looks, and his brow lifts in surprise. "Harrison?" I fix my hair, a signal that I'm uncomfortable. "What's the deal with that? You haven't fucked her yet?" he asks. I narrow my eyes. "It's not like that." "Not like that?" He steps back, his eyes widening. "What other way could it be for you?" I grab the side of my neck. "I don't know. This one's different." He smiles broadly. "Holy hell." "What?" I respond. "I never thought I'd see the day." He's all white teeth and red-rimmed eyes. "The fuck you talking about?" "My little brother is hooked on a woman." I shake my head. "Leave it alone. And don't mess up my place," I say, walking away from him. He laughs, and I hear him say, "All right, girls. Let's take this party upstairs." I wash my hands off at the bar before I head down. I'm in dark gray jeans and blue Nike's, because I'm off work and didn't plan to go downstairs at all, but...her. "Get someone to clean up," I say to Ben as I pass by, knowing there's a table full of cocaine. He nods. "Yes, sir."Making my way through the crowd, I spot her sitting at the bar. Brennen and her friend Claire are listening as she speaks, and my eyes go to her lips. She's the prettiest thing I've ever seen. Her hair is pulled back, but pieces hang around her face. Her lips shine from the drink she just took, and I watch as her tongue darts out to have a taste. My leg twitch, and I adjust myself before nearing them. As if she senses me, her eyes find mine. For a split moment they soften, but just as fast, they turn icy. Soft gray switches to storm clouds, and I know she's pissed I haven't talked to her since I let her walk away last week. "Colby," Brennen says, patting me on the back. I like this guy. I don't like the fact he's always around her, but it seems to be friendship only. He doesn't look at her like that Nash guy or me for that matter. Hell, I'm her friend, and I want to bend her over that stool she's occupying and fuck her crazy. This punk better not be thinking that, too. I nod a hello, but I don't take my eyes off her. "You okay?" I ask. "Never better." I can see the lie in her eyes. I put my hands into my pockets. "Can we talk?" She looks at her friends. "I want to dance anyway," Claire says, grabbing Brennen's hand. "See you in a bit, Lexi." Alexis swallows as she watches them leave, and then she turns and lifts her finger to the bartender. He doesn't notice her, but I lift higher getting his attention. I point to her, and that's who he walks up to. "Vodka with lime, please," she says. My bartender looks at me. "I'll have a bourbon." He nods, and I mentally remind myself to tell all of these employees to treat her as if she were me. The person next to us slips off their seat, and I take over. I study her profile as she pretends to ignore me. Her hand rests on the bar, and her legs are crossed. Colorful string bracelets cover her wrist, and my eyes look down at her tight jeans and blue T-shirt. She's not dressed for a night of clubbing but for a night of drinking.Am I the reason, sweetheart? I run my finger over her hand. "Alexis, are you gonna keep ignoring me?" She turns my way. "Isn't that what you've been doing to me?" "You've called?" I ask. She darts her eyes to the side. "Well, no." "You've come by my place then?" She sighs. "No, Colby, I haven't." "Then I don't think you can say I've been ignoring you, pretty girl." I've just been avoiding you. But now you're here and I can't remember why or how I stayed away.