Dare Me (Part 26 - Alexis)

During the summer, Los Angeles gifts us with free concerts. It's something to do and a way to get out of the apartment, even if it's a thousand and two degrees out and pointless to wear makeup. I'm in a tank top and denim overall shorts with a pair of white Chucks on my feet. Sweat glides down my back as smoothly as a high-speed bullet train and Claire's brought a battery-operated fan to help. She sprays the mist bottle on us both as Brennen walks back over with water bottles and a beer for himself. We've been here for a good while now, and I'm ready to grab a booth in a cool restaurant and have a drink besides water. "Burgers and fries or pizza and wings?" Brennen asks. "Both sound very healthy." Claire rolls her eyes. "Sorry. I'm not into lettuce like you, rabbit." Brennen takes a swig from his cup, and foam covers his top lip. "You're going to look like a pig if you keep eating like one," she retorts. "I think I look just fine." Even in this heat, Brennen wears a black shirt and he lifts it to show off his abs. This time I roll my eyes. "Gross," Claire says, but I see the pink in her cheeks, and I know it's not from Los Angeles summer. "You know you like it," Brennen replies. "Wipe the foam off your lip, pig." I laugh. "How about Brennen and I do burgers and fries? I'm sure they have salads for you, Claire." "Sounds good to me. Come on, my little rabbit," Brennen says, putting his arm around Claire who doesn't shrug it off. I twist my cap off my water bottle when I hear, "Harrison." I turn to see Gage and Colby. "Hey," I say, my eyes darting over to Colby in khaki shorts and a T-shirt. I think about the other night when he came to my house and we slept together. To have him so close and he not try anything was torture. Later that morning, I felt him get up. I acted like I was still asleep while he quietly got dressed. He didn't leave right away and I almost opened my eyes to see what he was doing, but when his kiss touched my hair, I was so glad I didn't. "Bye," he whispered. "That was a first for me." I didn't know what he meant by that, but I kept up my acting until I heard the front door close and then I thought maybe he's never just slept with anyone and the thought made me smile. Another first with Colby and I was glad he didn't try anything. "What are you two doing out here battling the heat?" I ask the brothers. "Booze and music," Gage says, like what else. I laugh, and Colby's lip lifts. "We're going to grab a bite to eat," Claire says. "And fucking cool down a bit," Brennen throws in as he drinks from his cup. "Y'all wanna come?" I ask. Gage shrugs. "I could use some food." "Yeah," Colby says. Having never actually met before, I introduce Gage to Claire and Brennen, telling him that Brennen rebuilds old cars, and that's enough to get them talking. The three walk in front of us and Colby and I tag along behind. We haven't really talked since he left that morning. Only a few texts here and there. "I didn't know you liked concerts," I say. "Who doesn't like concerts?" he asks. I shrug. "You just don't look like the type to partake in day drinking and music." He nods. "I've been doing a lot of abnormal shit lately, so, when Gage asked if I wanted to go, I couldn't think of a reason not to." I laugh. "I'm glad you did." He lifts his hat before dropping it back down. He clears his throat. "I meant to apologize for the other day. I shouldn't have done that." My heart sinks. Why does he regret that? Just when I think things are moving forward with us, we take ten steps back. But moving forward how? My subconscious tosses in the question of all questions. One that I have no answer to still. I'm just as confused about us now as I was when I first saw him on those stairs. We're fucking complicated. "You apologize when it's not needed." I think back on the seat belt incident. "So, you were cool with me leaving while you were asleep?" I look over at him as we near the restaurant. That's what he's apologizing for? An airy feeling lifts my heart from my stomach. "Oh. Well, I mean, you said bye." He looks surprised. "You were awake then?" "Kinda." I smile. He smiles back. "Good."The coolness from the restaurant spreads across my skin and gives me instant relief when we walk through the door. Claire tells the hostess how many we have, and moments later we're sliding into a big booth. I sit beside Colby. Claire and Brennen sit to my left while Gage sits beside his brother. We all shout off drink orders when the waitress walks over, and when she brings them back we tell her what we want to eat. Conversation is light, and Gage makes us laugh with his laid-back playfulness. Colby and I sit closer than needed, and I can't say I don't love having him next to me. I can smell his cologne, and hearing him chuckle at his brother makes me smile.His laugh isn't loud, and if I wasn't right next to him, I wouldn't be able to hear it at all. As though he feels me looking at him, he places his hand on my thigh, and for the rest of the evening that's where he keeps it.