Dare Me (Part 44 - Alexis)

I wake Saturday morning, feeling the several glasses of wine Claire and I had last night at the restaurant we went to with Brennen. The sound of booming thunder rattles the windowpane, and through my curtains I can see a heavy rain falling from the metal-colored sky. I rub my face and roll over, staring up at the ceiling. The fan above me spins, and I can't shake this eerie sensation in my gut. Lightning flashes, and my air conditioner and box fan go off, leaving me with only the sound of rain falling. I turn my head, and something catches my eye on the floor. I focus on it. "What the hell?" Tossing the covers off, I walk over, grabbing the expensive looking knife by its handle. My heart kicks up, and my eyes wander over the carvings on the blade. This is no pocketknife. This is one you wear on your side, like some Sons of Anarchy shit. Another roll of thunder makes me jump, and I look at my window as needles prick my spine. Someone's been in here. "Lexi." I hear and turn to look toward my door. Claire pushes it open, looking just as concerned as I feel, holding something in her hand. "What are you doing?" she asks with narrowed eyes that leave me and look to the window. I reach over and push it down, shutting out the falling rain and leaving us in silence. "What's in your hand?" She walks over in pajama shorts and bare feet as we both look. I swallow the sick feeling in my stomach. "Where did that come from?" she asks. "On my floor," I say, looking up at her. Her hand goes to her hair, and her eyes scan the floor as fear takes over confusion. "He's been here, Lex. I know it." She opens her hand. My eyes widen, and chills run over my arms as the hand that holds her underwear starts to shake. "These were on the couch this morning." "Call the police," I say to her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With cut-off shorts and a long-sleeved soft gray shirt on, I slide my feet into my Vans and throw my hair up into a ponytail, walking into the living room as the cops exit our apartment with the items we found. Claire sits at the small kitchen table, knee bouncing and fingernail chewing. I go to the coffee pot, grateful the power came back on while we were talking to the officer, and pour myself a cup before walking out of the kitchen and joining her. "It's going to be okay," I say, taking a sip. 'They'll discover his fingerprints, and they'll put a warrant out for his arrest." She shakes her head. "He may be a psychopath, but he's not stupid, Lex. He would have worn gloves." She nods her head as she says it and then removes her fingers from her lips. "We're not safe here." I look down at the table, knowing she's right. He came in through my window. Brennen goes out onto the fire escape and smokes sometimes, so it's never locked. We made this very easy for him. "You'll stay with Colby, and I'll stay with Brennen." I dart my eyes over at her, thinking it'll suck to be apart. "Yeah," I agree. She bites her bottom lip, and I reach over and grab her hand as she starts to cry. Sadness runs down her cheeks, filled with worry and fear. "Why is he doing this?" she asks me. "How did I get mixed up with such a horrible man?" My own tears spill out, and I shake my head. "You didn't know," I say to her. "There's no way you could have known." "Did I do something to deserve this?" "Claire, you listen to me." I wipe my face and look at her. "You are a good person. Cain is not. Sometimes our paths cross with bad people, and there's nothing we can do about that. Don't you for a second think you deserve this." I squeeze her hand. "No one decent deserves this." "But I've dragged you into this." "Don't do that. I choose to live with you." She nods and sniffs. Placing her elbow onto the table, she rubs her face and sighs. "What a mess. What a horrible mess."