Dare Me (Part 4 - Alexis)

"This isn't the dance floor," I mutter as the drunk girls twerk by their seats. I go to pass the steps but curiosity makes me stop and look over at the big barrel of a man. He turns his head toward me. "Can I help you?" he asks. My eyes go from him to the top of the stairs. I look at the all black glass and wonder whoever is up there is looking down at me. I also wonder where the guy I was having a staring contest went. I haven't seen him down here at all, and believe me, I've looked. "Just going to the bathroom" I say. "It's that way" He points around the stair rail toward the back. "Thanks." I know where it is. A girl doesn't not use the bathroom when she's constantly throwing back fun liquids. I glance at the wall of glass above me once more before I cross under it and head to the bathroom. I hear someone coughing when I enter the red tiled bathroom with low lit lights." "Claire?" "In here" She grumbles. "You okay?" "Drunk" I smirk. "Ready to go?"
"Please." I stand on the outside of the stall she's in as she flushed the toilet. The door opens, and I peek around. Her brown hair is pulled back, and loose strands hang around her face. Mascara goes to waste under her eyes, and she stumbles into the door. "You don't have to leave just because I'm drunk" She wipes her mouth with the back of her hand. "I'm not staying by myself. Brennen called an Uber. Besides, I'm pretty sure I'm drunk too." "Okay." She exhales, and I move so she can walk out. "I'm never drinking again" "We say that every time." "But this time I mean it. I'm going to sober!" She points her finger in the air. "That means you'll have to go sober, too" I smirk as she walks up to the waterfall sink, drinking water from her cupped hand. With a gargle she spits, and I hand her a napkin as I lean back against the wall. "Better?" I ask, feeling extremely tired. "I'm not sure I'd say better. Less of a puke taste, though" I chuckle. "I'll take that. Come on. Let's go home."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blinking my eyes open, I wince when the light from my open blinds hits me like a sledge hammer. Groaning, I roll over and try to adjust my vision as I move my head to look at the time on my clock. Two thirty, My stomach growls, and my mouth is drier than the Sahara. Jesus Christ, did I die and is this hell? My alcohol fogged brain tries to replay last night's events, but only remembers shots, the bar, and Claire puking in the club's bathroom. I squeeze my lids shut, forcing her name as loud as my body will allow. "Claire!" "Don't yell" She moans, and I flip to the other side, looking down at my bedroom floor. "What the hell are you doing on the floor?" "I don't know," She says with a groan, swiping her brunette hair from her face. She slowly sits up, holding her head as she does it. She looks at me splayed out om my stomach, and I chuckle. "Oh my god, what did we do last night?" "Everything" She says. "I remember shots. Lots and lots of shots" Smudged black mascara lines her blood shot eyes. I scrunch up my face. "I also remember that," I respond, thinking I may die of dehydration if I don't get some damn water in me. I throw the comforter off and messily roll over onto my back. "Ugh, I need all the water," I sit cross legged, trying to talk my body into standing. I'm never drinking liquor again. I swear, whatever is in fireball gives people amnesia and the flu. Scrubbing my hands down my face, my eyes land on my feet. "Holy hell, why are the bottoms of my feet black?" Claire laughs. "You threw away your shoes"  "I did what?" I blurt, looking down at her, feeling how wide my eyes are from the stretch of what I know is crusty makeup on my own face. I didn't even clean my face. After running a finger under both eyes, I look at my leftover makeup, disappointed that I slept in that shit. She takes a hold  of the bed and pulls herself up as I grab a tissue from my vanity. "Yep" She groans when she stands, "tossed them into the trash" I shake my head and turn my body, stretching my legs out in front of me. Standing I give myself a moment to gain my balance. "Jesus, when have I ever been this hungover?" "Halloween," we both say, looking at each other. I laugh and swipe a hand through my hair. "Yeah. That night was pretty insane you lost your fake Toto." "I became Toto less Dorothy," I reply, walking out of the room in my underwear and tank top, wiping the cake of makeup under my eyes. "Shit. Brennen" I screech when he sits up from the couch. Running past Claire, I grab my pajama shorts and slide them on along with a T shirt to cover my bra less boobs. "It's nothing I haven't seen before," he calls out with a chuckle. "You've never seen mine," I reply, walking back into the living room. He laughs. I pick up a throw pillow and throw it at his head. He ducks and grabs his smokes from the table, patting one out, he places the cigarette in between his teeth. "On the fire escape with that thing," Claire says from the kitchen. "Yeah, yeah" He walks in behind me with sleepy couch hair. "You two got pretty trashed last night." He grabs the top of the doorway and rests his head there. I fill my cup with water and ice from the fridge. "Tell me we didn't dance on the bar or anything." He laughs and puts his cigarette behind his ear. "Nah, just normal shit from the two of you" I look at Claire. She grins. Grabbing the aspirin from the basket on top of the fridge, I pop the bottle open and throw four back. "Gimme." Claire says holding out her hand. I toss the bottle to her, noticing she has on navy nail polish. My mind jumps back to last night and the guy in the leather jacket standing on the staircase. I bite my lip, feelings the frown between my brows. "I'm shocked you're here and not in some girl's bed," Claire says to Brennen as I lean back on the counter. "You calling me a whore?" Brennen replies like she offended him. I grin at their playful banter, but as I take a gulp of my drink, I wonder who that guy was on the stairs last night. Those eyes and the way he was looking at me. I was was as if no one else was around. The full club of people vanished, the music slowed, and it was only us. Strangers in a trance, daring the other to take the first step. Chills run up my back, and I shake them off as I rub my temple and stare down at the floor. Geez, my brain feels like it could roll out of my head and onto the black and white tile.