Dare Me (Part 10 - Alexis)

He comes around the bar, and my eyes look downward as he cleans his hand on his apron and grabs Colby's while giving him a hard pat on the back with the other. "I'm doing well, Monnie," Colby replies, looking down at me with a genuine smile. "I see!" He laughs and turns to look at me. "And who is this lovely lady?" I notice his little cheeks turning red and his small brown eyes full of curiosity. "Alexis," I say, holding out my hand. "It's very nice to meet you, Mr. Monnie." "Good to meet you," he replies, grabbing my hand with a firm shake. "But, please, Monnie is fine." He winks. "Come on and let me fix you two up something to eat. The regular for you, my boy?" Colby looks down at me. "I usually get two scrambled eggs, country ham, and grits. Do you like that, or would you prefer something else?" "That sounds great to me," I reply as my stomach growls. "Sounds good, Monnie. Make it two." We head over to a nearby booth. I feel like I've stepped into the fifties, getting a small glimpse into days already passed as I look over the diner. The curtains are red and white gingham, and the booths are white and red vintage style with the whole seat covered in red and the white V in the middle. The shiny tables have silver aluminum wrapped around the sides, and the floors match our kitchen apartment with its black and white square tiles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This guy's different. He's nothing like anyone I've ever met before. He comes across closed-off, yet he's answered any question I've asked even if it seems to make him uncomfortable. He's insanely gorgeous, but rough at the same time. His eyes show a man who's lived a hard life, but his life so far sounds great. He looks up from his plate, catching me watching him. "You usually stare at people while they eat?" I blush. "My bad. I was just thinking." "About?" I slightly shake my head and lift my drink. "Nothing important." His tongue moves over the back of his teeth and he slides his plate away. "So, what's the deal with you pouring coffee for a living?" "What's wrong with it?" I ask, getting defensive. "Nothing," he says, shrugging, clearly unfazed by me getting upset. "But you seem to be more than just a pretty face. You could do better." He leans back and places his hand on the table. His long fingers tap, tap it. I drop my fork and lift my brow. "Wow, thanks," I say sarcastically. I like my job, and I don't need him downing it. "I'm just stating a fact." "I was being sarcastic, Colby." What an asshole. "Hey, don't get upset about it. I was just telling you my opinion." "Well, you know what they say about those," I reply, with no flicker of a smile. He reaches his hand across the table and touches mine. My eyes shoot down before looking at his face. A feeling of calmness washes over me, instantly fading my anger. Why was I getting upset? "Sorry. I wasn't degrading your job. I just wanted to know if you had another plan?" "And if I didn't?" I ask, looking down at his digits over mine. "Then you don't," he says simply, taking his hand back. I inhale and move my hair from my neck, feeling as though I'm under a microscope. I'm not sure why. I've never been ashamed of my job before and I'm not now...not really. It's just, this dude owns a nightclub and well, I pour coffee. But you plan to do more. "Sorry," I say with a furrowed brow. "That place is like my second home. And if you must know, I plan to buy it. I also have a business degree." He nods, seeming to be proud he's right and he is. I've done nothing but work my ass off since I left home, and it's paid off. Or it will be as soon as the bank gives me what I want. I take my last bite and push my plate away. The windows are fogged, and I get chills across my bare legs. Why do diners always have amazing air conditioners? "Where did you grow up?" he asks. "Now who's full of questions?" "Hey, I thought this was how it worked?" "You ready to go?" "Yes. It's freezing in here." Colby fishes his wallet out. He tosses a Benjamin down and I'm secretly glad I can defrost in the Los Angeles heat. The man who thinks I'm funny slides out of the booth. "You're not waiting for your change?" I ask. "No. Don't need it. Come on." He walks toward the door and I follow. Colby gives a nod toward Monnie, who replies with, "So long, my boy. Tell your brother to give me a call, and bring that pretty girl back next time you come." I blush at his compliment and smile as we head out of Monnie's Diner. The night air is sticky, melting the goosebumps off my legs. A tiredness washes over me from the food in my belly and the alcohol swimming in my veins. I yawn as Colby opens the passenger door, and I climb inside the comfortable classic car. After getting in himself, I'm taken aback when he reaches over me to grab my seat belt. I stiffen, but inhale spicy, fresh forest green. Damn, he smells good. My lids shut as his scent surrounds me, and between my sudden tiredness and his smell, I want to crawl up beside him and go to sleep, but then I feel him move away. "Sorry," he says back on his side, looking ahead with a wrinkle between his brow. "Put your seat belt on." "What are you sorry for?" "For reaching over you." "I didn't mind." "Well, I do," he bites. I flinch. "Geez." He rubs his eyes and exhales, seeming to be at war with himself. "I'm sorry. I..." He rubs his head. "I shouldn't have snapped at you." "No, you shouldn't have," I reply as I watch him.He starts the car, and I grab the belt before clicking it into place. I lean back in the seat, watching the traffic pass, my mind spinning and my eyes feeling heavy. Maroon 5's "Memories" plays on the radio, his soft voice crooning, making my eyes drift closed. I'm out.