Dare Me (Part 11 - Alexis)

Buttery gold rays shine bright behind my lids and I stretch my arms out and roll over. "Ah." I hit the floor with a hard thump and my eyes shoot open. Wincing, I lift my head up and blow hair from my face. Where the hell am I? I push from the floor and get to my knees. Spotting my clutch on the table across from me, I reach over and grab it, taking my phone and swiping the screen. Geez, my mouth tastes like a night out. I lick my lips as I look back to my purse and spot a piece of gum. Claire has called and texted more than a few times. "Shit." I pop the gum into my mouth. She's probably called the police. I hit dial on her number, chewing as I do. She answers on the first ring. "Where the hell are you?" "Please don't be mad." "Oh, I'm past that. I've already gone through five different stages of emotions here, Alexis. Wondering, worried, frantic. Upset." "Where are you now?" I ask, looking at my surroundings. "Pissed." I cringe. "Sorry, I'm trying to figure things out here." "Figure things out?" she asks. "Yes, I'm not sure where I'm located." "What?" she screeches. "Calm down. I know I rode home with Colby last night. I remember eating, but then I guess I fell asleep, so I have to be at his house." "You fell asleep in a stranger's car?" "Well, I wouldn't really call him a stranger, Claire." I roll my eyes as I head over to the kitchen in search of water. "You just met the man, Lexi. How can you possibly know enough about him to not call him a stranger?" "Can you shut the hell up and find out where you are so I can come get you?" she says. I hear her breathing pick up. "Are you running?" I fill my glass from the fridge. "Yes. I'm running to my car so I can come rescue my dumb ass friend who leaves the club with strangers and then goes home with them," she says as the car keys rattle. "Don't you think you're overreacting just a little here?" "No. No, I don't." I walk back to the couch, looking around at the spacious living room and up at the tall ceilings. There's a window wall looking out at the house next door. "Claire, this place is amazing." "Great. Get an address," she replies, straight-faced. "Well, I see you're up," a woman says from behind me. I jump and spin. "Who's that?" Claire whisper-yells. "How am I supposed to know?" She sighs. "Find out." "Right. I'll get on that," I reply, equally annoyed with her as she is with me. "Alexis right?" the woman asks. "Yes," I say, trying to straighten my god-awful wrinkled shirt. "And you are?" "I'm Katrina. Colby's ... well, I guess you can say roommate...Colby has a bunch of roommates I'm his best friends girlfriend." "It's Katrina" I tell Claire. "Well, ask Katrina her address." "Katrina, my overprotective friend here is coming to get me. Do you think you could tell me the address?" "Oh, no need for your friend to do that. Colby will be down in a minute to take you home." I lift my brow and look to the stairs. Speak of the devil. He's wearing a white T-shirt, dark fitted jeans that hang off his hips in a way that makes my stomach flutter, and black Converse. My jaw hits the floor as my wits vanish. Good Lord. I chew my gum, trying to wet my suddenly dry mouth. Who is this man and where did he come from? "Alexis?" I hear on the other end of the phone. "I'm good, Claire." I hang up as she says something else. "Hey," Colby says almost hesitantly, walking over to me. I clear my throat. "Hey." I immediately feel shy and super self-conscious. My hair's probably a rat's nest, and my clothes are destroyed from sleeping on the couch. (A very comfortable couch, I might add. I didn't wake up once.) And here he is looking like a model and smelling like heaven itself. I run a hand over my head, trying to tame some of my hair, wondering if I drooled on the couch. But then I remember the way he snapped at me last night and my nerves chill. He walks close, and instinctively I move back. His lip lifts as he reaches down, grabbing my shoes that somehow managed to go under the table. I must have kicked them off at some point? "You ready to go?" he asks, handing them to me. "Yeah," I say, grabbing the shoes from his hand. I can get my own shoes, thanks. I take a seat, set the glass down, and slide my shoes back on. "What am I doing here?" I look up at him sideways. "You fell asleep." He's looking down at me with his hands in his front pockets. "You carried me in here then?" I ask tall and domineering as I slip my strap on my heel. "Well, I would have dragged you, but that wouldn't have been too much fun for you." I scoff. "No, I don't imagine so. But why didn't you just wake me so I could tell you where I lived?" He looks perplexed before he says, "I don't know." I raise a brow at his look of confusion. "Come on. I've got somewhere to be." He turns, and I stand. Alrighty then, let's go. "Good to meet you, Alexis," Katrina says with a smile in her voice. Colby starts for the door, and I walk to place my glass in the sink. She gives me a peculiar grin, like she knows a secret but isn't telling. What's the deal, Katrina? "You too," I reply. In the car, I flip the visor down and look at the damage that is my face. I rub under my eyes, removing leftover makeup, before grabbing the hair tie from my wrist and throwing my hair up. I open my bag and take out my lip-gloss, going over my lips one time before smacking them together. I look a little better after I do all of this. I shrug and flip the visor back and notice Colby looking at me.