Dare Me (Part 3 - Alexis)

I avert my eyes quickly turning my gaze towards a wall of blacked out glass that covers the entire second floor. My teeth work on the inside of my cheek as I angle my head. Little hairs stand on the nape of my neck, and I shiver as though someone were watching me. Is that a two way mirror? I dare take a peek back at that guy. Discovering he is no longer looking. Feeling Claire's hand take mine, I rip my gaze from him. "Shots" she says and tugs me toward the bar where Brennen is already headed. I follow but my eyes wander everywhere as I try not to break my ankles. Dancing lights canopy a crowded dance floor, while tables in front of sunken booths are supplied well with expensive bottles of liquor and champagne. A rush of excitement pushes through my veins. I need this. I need fun. I'm handed a shot and Claire says, "To new beginnings" We clink our glasses, and as I bring the whiskey to my smiling lips, my gaze lands on the stairs again, but this time, in the dead center stands the guy. He rests back against the wall with his hands tucked into his fitted jeans. My eyes connect with the fiercest blues I've ever seen, Like the murky sea itself mirroring a violent sky. Why is he looking at me like that? It's unnerving, yet for some reason I can't look away. My smile falls and my brow quirks. Noticing the slightest bit of interest flash like lightening in his stormy eyes. Light stubble shadows his face, and his hair is over his forehead and left eye. Jesus, he's gorgeous. "Take the shot, Lexi" Claire says, interrupting my watching. My eyes shoot to her pinched face. Brennen tips his beer and I throw the shot back, wincing at the harsh taste. When I look again the guy is no longer there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm the complete opposite of sober, and Claire is leaning, swaying, and lay eyed. Shots line the bar. Six for me and six for her, First to take all gets to drive Brennen's 1970 Chevy Chevelle on the outside of town. I bend my toes around the bar stool and lean up. "Okay?" I say to Claire. "Never been better," She replies with a drunk smile. "One, two, go!" Brennen says hitting the bar with his closed fist, vibrating the liquid in the tiny glasses. I pick up the first, hurriedly spilling liquor onto my hand before throwing it back, then the second, The third doesn't want to go down as smoothly as the others, and I take a minute to swallow. Behind closed lids, my eyes water and I blow air from my mouth and cheeks. Oh hell no, I'm not sure this was the best idea. Claire slams her last shot glass down and throws her balled fist in the air in victory. "I won" laugh lines crease around her eyes, and I shake my head in disbelief. "How in the hell did you get through all of them?" Claire grins. "College, Lexi" Twisting in her seat, she yells over at the bartender, "Yo can a girl get a beer? I wan a can please" She turns to Brennen "You bring your knife?" "You're not shotgunning a beer in here" He says "Don't be a party pooper." She slaps his arm playfully. I didn't have the luxury to party in college. When you're putting yourself through school and working as much as possible, you don''t have money for drinking or time for hangovers. I laugh at her pout when the bartender tells her no can. "Clair you can't shotgun a beer in a fancy club like this" "Well you shouldn't be bare foot either, but you've been for the past hour" She throws back. A giggle slips through my lips, followed by a hiccup, which makes me laugh more when I peer down at my feet. "Touche" "Oh shit", she says holding her mouth. My eyes shoot back to her. "What?" with watery eyes and a pale complexion, college party girl jumps up and runs to the bathroom. I lift my brow at Brennen who sighs. "Never can hold her liquor" I groan sliding off the bar stool with what I think is easy grace, but Brennen looks at me as if that's not the case. "You're not gonna puke, too, are you?" "I'm not drunk," I say, feeling my body betray me as it sways. I grip onto the bar. "Right" He folds his lips and nods. "Okay, just a little" I pinch the air. He chuckles, "I'll be back, You might want to call an Uber" I pat his shoulder. He pulls his phone out of his front pocket and barefoot still, I make my way toward the bathrooms, looking down to make sure I don't step on anything while trying to get around all these people. Which isn't easy in my unstable position. Geez, why did I drink so much? I haven't been out in a while, and eating hasn't been on my radar. I'll pay for this tomorrow, but screw it. Sometimes a girl just needs to get loose. I duck just as an elbow nearly catches me in the eye. "Watch out," I say, annoyed that I am so short without heels. Where did I put those anyway, and why is the bathroom so far from the bar?