Dare Me (Part 20 - Colby)

"Yeah, I need a fucking drink too." She looks at me but says nothing as she opens the car door. We both slam the doors shut, and I start the car. Thunder booms above us, and I know it's going to start raining any minute. The movie would have been ruined anyway. I maneuver us out of here and get on the main road. Reaching over, I grab the other beer in her hand. "Colby, you're driving." "No shit," I reply before taking a gulp. She blows and wipes hair from her forehead in frustration. "Are you going to tell me what happened?" I look over at her just as the rain starts to come down on the windshield. "You don't want me to talk about it right now." "Actually, I do. You told me you would if I got in the car." "I lied." "You lied?" she asks incredulously. "Yeah. I fucking lied to get you in the car because for some reason you have a hard time listening to me." "That's because you don't ask. You tell. And last time I checked, you were not my father, boyfriend, or husband." I laugh bitterly. "If you were mine, you wouldn't be able to sit down for a week." "What the hell are you talking about?" "Just what I said.""Are you saying you'd spank me?" "Yeah, I would. You need a good spanking. You're a smart ass, you don't listen, and you pick shady guys to sleep with." Her eyebrows lift. "To sleep with?" She huffs. "You have no idea what you're talking about." "I don't?" I look over at her before flicking my windshield wipers on higher. "That piece of shit back there..." "Don't talk about him like that. He was a good friend of mine." "You pick some shitty friends." "I guess I do." Her lips are in a straight line. "You're insinuating I'm a shitty friend then?" "Yeah. I am." I shake my head in disbelief. "I was defending you back there." "Why did I need defending? Nash has never been anything but nice to me." I lean my head back and laugh. "I'm sure he has." "What does that mean?" "It means he was probably only being nice to you so he could get in your pants." "So that's the only reason a guy should be nice to me? Because he wants to get in my pants? Is that why you're nice to me every once in a blue moon?" I dart my eyes over to her, downshifting as I come to a stop sign."You know what, screw this." I come to a stop and she swings open her door. "What the hell are you doing?" She slams the door shut and takes off walking down the road in the pouring rain with a beer in her hand. "Jesus," I say, setting my beer in the cup holder and turning my flashers on before jumping out of the car. I see her chug the beer before she tosses it with what seems like all her force. She's pissed and cute as hell."Alexis," I call after her. "Leave me alone," she fires back. "This is so stupid. It's flooding." My shoes are getting soaked, for fuck's sake. "Stop walking away from me," I say. "This friendship is over. It's a pain in the ass," she says. "You're a pain in my ass," I toss back as I near her, and with little effort I scoop her up and throw her over my shoulder. "Let me down!" she yells and kicks. A few cars pass by us and I give them a small wave. Yeah, we're idiots. "Shut up and be still," I say, smacking her ass. I feel her stomach muscles tighten on my shoulder, and I'm pretty sure I just shocked the hell out of her. I would laugh, but this isn't funny. It's nuts. I open her car door and put her inside, giving her a look that says don't move before running around and getting in myself. "Tell me what he said," she says, looking at me, her chest moving up and down rapidly. Fuck, she's gorgeous. Her hair's soaked, and her makeup is running down her face. I want to kiss her so badly, but instead, I grab the beer and down the rest of it before wiping my face off with my hand. "Throw this out," I say as I hand her the empty can. She snatches it from me and opens her door, dropping it on the side of the road as I start to drive. I grip the wheel and lift my hat off, tossing it onto the dash. I should have hit him, then I would feel better. I can't believe she's mad at me when that fuck head goes around telling people personal things about her. "Colby," she says, getting my attention. "What did he say?" "He said you've got a spot above your hip. Drove you crazy when he ran his tongue over it." Her eyes grow wide and I see her cheeks turn pink as she looks in front of her. I glance from her to the road and back at her again as she shakes her head. "See, that's why I said you pick shitty people to sleep with. What kind of man goes around telling personal things like that? Especially to someone he doesn't even know." "Just take me home," she says, looking out her window. "You've got nothing to say about this shit?" I ask. "No. I don't." I run a hand over my head in disbelief. I defend her and I'm the one who gets punished. How does that make any sense? I press the gas and focus on the road, trying to cool my temper down and secretly hoping this won't be it for us, but also wondering if this is how friends are supposed to act. Hell, I'm thirty-three. I've never had any close friends and no romantic relationships. I have no idea what to do here. We're both soaking wet, mad at the wrong people, and I don't want this night to end like this. Ten minutes later, I'm pulling up to the curb of her apartment building. I come to a stop and put the car in neutral as I pull up the e-brake. I lean up and look over at her. She wipes under her eyes and pulls her shirt away from her soaked skin. "Well, thanks for the movie," she says with a weak smile. I have no idea what to say. She shakes her head. "I'll see ya." She runs to the door and I watch as it slowly closes behind her. I look in front of me as the rain continues to fall. I fucked that up.