Replaced

**Request for seven-silence where Peter feels replaced by a particular intern at SI. Tony makes things better, but not after Peter feels a good dose of sadness. Enjoy!**

Peter raced into the building, excitement pumping through his veins. He had been waiting to do this project for weeks, now, and today was finally the day!

The receptionist greeted the teen with a little nod and a smile, and he waved enthusiastically. That was the things about Peter Parker, he could put a smile on your face no matter what was going on, no matter how bad you felt, no matter hard your shell was.

There was too much energy pumping through the boy's body by the time he reached the elevator, so he bounced where he stood in the small space. Peter's favorite projects were the bio-chemical ones, so this particular project, which was to develop a new type of prosthetic, one that could chemically create blood and receive nervous input. It was a big project, but Peter had already drawn up some ideas for how to do it.

The elevator dinged open, and Peter rushed out. "Hey, Tony, I already worked on some-"

"Hey, kid." The billionaire was bent over his desk, a second person at his side. "Why're you here today?"

Peter furrowed his brow. "I thought we were working on that project today. The chemically capable prosthetic."

Tony didn't say anything for a second, clearly lost in thought. Peter sighed, waiting for his mentor to come back to reality.

"Oh, I didn't even think of... Were you going to do aesthetic design?"

"No, I was going to help with chemically recreating blood, since I've been chemically recreating natural substances for a while now."

Tony didn't respond. After a few moments, Peter cleared his throat.

"Oh, sorry. This is Anne Charleston of UCLA. She was recognized for her work on the biochemistry of that new vaccine or whatever, so I brought her in for our biochemical part. She's going to be doing that."

Peter's face stayed the same, but he felt his heart break all the same. He was always the guy Tony went to on biochemical stuff. Always.

"Oh. Then- uh- then could- could I work on the- the suit? The- uh -Sp- Spidersuit?"

Tony looked up for a second. "Sure. Take it to another lab, though. We're going to be busy down here and I can't have people getting in the way."

Peter tried to keep his face stony, but he couldn't help the few tears that slipped out. He was a bother to Tony. He got in the way. Peter didn't want to get in the way anywhere else, so he just turned on his heel and left the Tower all together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Get outta here," Tony said, looking over his notes.

Peter took a step back. "Well, I just-"

"I said get out! We're on the verge of a breakthrough and you think this is the right time to talk to me about whatever it is you wanna talk about?" Tony's voice was sharp. "Get outta here, Peter, go home. Go bother someone else."

Peter let his hand clench around the flyer in his hand. New York's 3rd Annual State Science Fair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The project wasn't going as planned. There was something off with the mechanics at first, and with the nervous interfacing, and after Tony and Anne had figured that out, there'd been trouble with the blood synthesis. Tony brought the issue to Bruce once, and to Helen Cho a few times, but no one had the faintest idea why the science wasn't working.