Identity Hidden

**Request for BethanyGregerson where her OC, Lily, has joined the Avengers, but she's hiding something from the team. Peter and Loki, thank goodness, are there to make her feel at home, but what happens when a familiar face turns up and changes everything? I am so sorry I haven't been very active, as some of you guys know, I am in school and finals were massive this term. I had a professor who assigned a 30-100 page essay! And COVID-19 isn't making me any less stressed, so... Anyways, enough of that. Enjoy!**

"I am so tired of you people," Fury mumbled, holding his head in his hands.

Tony was leaned back in his chair, his usual look of carelessness plastered on his face. Steve and Clint were arguing, both leaning over the wide, sleek table, hands pressed to the tabletop with such force, they were white. Natasha looked on in amusement, chiming in whenever she felt like spiraling the argument into another frenzy of shouting. Bucky was trying to hold Steve back, but with their strength nearly matched, the super solider kept slipping out of Bucky's hold, and in the end, it just looked like Bucky was an unfortunate dog-walker, whose job it was to control a Mastiff puppy.

"Are they always like this?" Lily asked, pushing a strand of chestnut hair out of her eyes. Peter looked up from his homework, and Bruce looked up from his book.

"Yeah, usually," Peter said with a smile. The scientist shrugged at went back to his book.

"They just don't seem like the world's mightiest heroes like this," Lily said, plucking a piece of lint from her tee-shirt and looking around the room again.

Peter laughed, throwing his head back for a moment. "Yeah, in public they are always so put together and poised, but up here? Yeah, no way."

The two teens giggled for a moment, watching as the whole meeting devolved into chaos, before Peter cleared his throat and ducked his head, like he was about to ask something embarrassing.

"So, uh, okay- okay- so are- let me start again," Peter took a breath. "Have you thought at all about telling the team?"

Lily shook her head violently. "No."

Peter opened his mouth to say something, but Lily cut him off.

"No. I can't, Peter. You know I can't."

Peter huffed slightly, turning his eyes back to his work.

It's okay, Lily reminded herself silently. It's okay. Peter knows people like me, he knows mutants. He's not going to tell anyone.

Lily was always stressed about someone finding out about her secret. The 'M' word. Mutant. When her parents had found out, they'd nearly lost it. The asked for a child, a daughter, not a freak. Not some genetically messed up weirdo. It wasn't long after that, after they found out, after Lily was locked in her room and forgotten, that the girl had run away.

The team was still fighting when Fury cleared his throat in that way that made the room go deadly quiet.

"Sorry to interrupt your little domestic-"

Natasha let a giggle escape her lips at that one.

"-but we are getting reports of an attack on downtown Manhattan. I need you to get the rest of the team and head down there, eyewitnesses and surveillance is telling us it's a big one. You'll need heavy backup."

The call disconnected quickly, leaving no one any time to ask questions.

"I'm contacting Thor and Loki," Tony said, rushing out of the room.

"Suit up!" Steve led the group out of the room, each one scattering to get their weapons and suits.

Bruce settled back into his chair. "I'll stay here, then," he called after the team. "No reason to cause more damage."