MoF Day 26: Just The Two Of Us

**Kind of inspired by the last one, but reversed. It's honestly craze with my schedule and the puppy and writing. He sleeps all day, stays up all night, and tries to bite my laptop if he sees me writing during the day, lol. Enjoy!**

Tony was careful to keep his arm wrapped around the baby in his arms, rain pounding on the man's head and back as he hunched over and raced down the street. It wasn't everyday New York poured like this, where the streets and gutters and sidewalks flooded over. Then again, it wasn't everyday the richest man in America found a baby in a back ally of the seedy part of the city.

The billionaire put his hand against a sensor next to the back door of the Tower to unlock it, then pushed his way inside and shook a little to get the rain out of his hair.

"FRIDAY, can you please take me up to the penthouse?"

The apartment was dark when the elevator opened, so dark that Tony nearly tripped over the shoes by the doors. "Lights, please. And could you call Pepper for me? And place an order for newborn-sized diapers, some baby blankets, stuff like that?"

"Of course, sir," FRIDAY said. "Should I call the authorities as well?"

Tony thought for a moment, his eyes landing on the sleeping baby curled against his arm. "Look up the number for New York's adoption and foster services. Figure out who to call for me to foster him."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peter's first steps were eagerly recorded by Pepper and sent to Tony in the middle of a board meeting, prompting him to leave early and come up to the penthouse to see Peter walking himself.

Peter's first words were "Da- Da!" as he made grabby hands at Tony with bright eyes.

Later when everything with the team had been settled, Tony and the other's worked out a schedule, and everyone was registered as First Aid official babysitters to watch the baby as he grew. Steve was a favorite, especially when he would bring Peter new crayons and spend hours drawing.

Clint and Natasha were particularly good ticklers.

Bucky made amazing baby food from scratch, and later, he made all of Peter's birthday cakes.

Rhodey was the favorite uncle, always making Peter smile and laugh.

And Bruce. Bruce wanted to get little Peter a chemistry set at 3 years old, which wasn't much better than 5, but at least at 5, Peter was better at following directions.

Tony was so excited to be a dad. Things were hard, but the team made it easier. Fostering meant a lot of check-in's and social workers coming around the Tower. Most of them were understanding and kind, who spent at least 10 minutes of each visit just sitting with Peter and letting him talk their ears off, but there was one who nit-picked every little thing wrong with the Tower or the team or Tony. But she only did one inspection before someone else was assigned Peter's file and she was gone.

When Peter was 7, he asked Tony who his mom and dad were. He told Tony how at school, someone had told him that being a foster kid meant Tony wasn't his real dad.

"But that's not true," Peter said quickly, when the little boy saw how Tony's face had fallen. "You are my dad! And you're the best dad ever, even better than someone else's 'real' dad or the dad who gave me away before."

Tony smiled. "Yeah?"

"Yeah. You're the best, Dad."

Tony watched his son walk off, trailing down to his room. "FRIDAY? Could you call the social worker and Pepper?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peter blew out the candles on his birthday cake, thanks to Bucky's excellent baking. The now 8 year old stuck a finger into the icing before anyone could stop him, sucking up chocolate as quickly as he could.

"Yum!"

Everyone laughed as Tony pulled the cake across the table to cut it for the boy. "Who wants a piece?"

"Everyone," Bucky assured. "I made it with expensive chocolate."

Peter got the first piece and shoved a huge forkful into his mouth. "Fen ar- we ooing resents?"

"I don't speak cake mouth, bambino." Tony kept cutting the cake, his eyes never leaving the desert. He knew the team well enough to know that all it took was 10 seconds to have either Clint or Bruce to steal a handful of cake.

Peter swallowed thickly. "When are we doing presents?!"

Tony laughed. "We could do them now, I guess."

Peter clapped his hands as Natasha pulled out the first gift, the one she had gotten the boy. It was a new set of Legos- a set that could be either a tree house or a cabin on a mountain if he built it differently.

Clint went next, getting him some cool science shirts.

Steve got him paints, and Bucky got him a nice sketch-book.

Bruce got him more Legos.

Rhodey got him a new bike.

Pepper got him a new Build-A-Bear dressed like IronMan.

"Wait," Peter said, looking around the room when he was done opening presents. "Wait. Where's Dad's present?"

Tony looked over at his son with mock disapproval. "You thought I forgot my favorite boy?"

Peter shook his head. Tony pulled out a nicely wrapped box, all in blue. "Okay, here you go."

Peter ripped the wrapping back, haphazardly discarding it on the ground around the table. He opened the box and pushed the tissue paper back happily, digging around. Little hands found a stack of papers, which Peter pulled out excitedly. "What's-"

The boy's eyes scanned the paper's, his mind racing. For being 8, he was pretty good at figuring things out. "Adoption papers?"

Doe eyes met Tony's, both a little watery. "You wanna be my son? Officially? So we never have to do those stupid foster check ups again and it's be just the two of us."

Peter didn't even respond, he just launched himself into his father's arms, tears streaming down his face as he sobbed into the man's neck. "Of course! I love you!"

Tony smiled over the boy's shoulder at the team- at his family. It wasn't every day that he got a son.