Chapter 4

Skylar's *point of view*

thump thump thump. the thumps slowed to a stop as they came to the bottom of the stairs.

"Oh, Skylar, honey come out, come out, wherever you are," a voice sneered from the center of the basement. I instantly knew it was my ruthless mother. I shouldn't even call her mother. She's just another woman to me. I shrunk back up against the wall. Instantly regretting cornering myself.

Her footsteps come closer and closer to me. The only thing guarding is a flimsy piece of fabric. I hear laugh as her short heels click clack against the cold hard stone floor outside my curtain.

"Try as you might, Skylar, but you can't ever hide from the things you deserve," she said cruelly. I bit my bottom lip to keep from whimpering. She snatched the curtain back. I saw the all too familiar vein popping out of her neck and the mean cold hard stare she gave me. She snatched my collar, dragging me up the stairs. I tried to latch on to the railings, but she was immensely stronger than me since I was only 5.

We reached the top of the stairs, her still dragging me, she threw me to the ground and laughed maliciously.

"Are you ready, Skylar?" she questioned, actually pretending to care. Back when I was young, I used to believe she actually cared when she said that. But now i know all too well that she was only playing the 'motherly' role.

Without warning she kicked me twice, hard and in the sides. I shut my eyes and clenched my fists to keep from saying anything bad, which would cause more beatings. I didn't care that she beat me because it was my fault. Isn't there always a reason to do something? So if she beat me, then it must be my fault. I opened my eyes slightly to see my "mother" getting something from the closet. Probably a new weapon to hit and beat me with. I looked at the stairs leading to the second story. My brother's head was peeped around, trying to look at the show that was going on I assume.

"Help," I mouthed to him. He shook his head 'no' and walked up to his room while chuckling slightly.

'NO ONE LOVES ME' My head screamed.

Then the impacts kept coming and coming. Each one harder than the last. Each one having less time to recover than the last hit. You would think it would be the opposite, but not with her. I already felt the bruises coming to the surface of my skin. Then they stopped. The footsteps went to the hall. I knew i wasn't done.

The glass figure came down with a rush. It came in impact with my head and shattered to a million pieces.

"I'm giving up on you," she said as she turned on her heals to leave the room. "Clean up this mess you made me make," she screamed as she slammed her door. I sobbed quietly. I couldn't and wouldn't let her see me like this. The screamed door opened and I saw the familiar face of my best friend. I smiled, but he didn't do anything but come down to the floor and grab my shoulders.

"Skylar! Wake up it's a dream!" He yelled. No way this could be a dream. But as I looked around the room wasn't like my old house that I used to live in when I was 5.

"SKYLAR!" He bellowed once again.

I jumped out of my dream to realize Ash was standing over me shaking me to wake up. Luke's arm was still draped over my midsection, but he was sound asleep. I looked up into Ash's eyes and saw the worry some look he gave me. I got off the couch in one quick motion, careful not to wake Luke up.

"You still have them Sky?" He asked sadly. I didn't make eye contact with him. I simply nodded. He sighed and pulled me into his tight embraces he always gives me. I cried softly as he brushed my hair out with his fingers. He tried hushing me and saying "sh sh sh" to me, but i just couldn't stop. I hated her so much. There isn't an ounce of me that still loves her. I know she's my mum, but there wasn't anything wrong with her. She didn't take any medicines. She wasn't drunk or high when she abused me. She genuinely hated me. I think it was because of my "father". He's another completely different story.