Chapter 5

Skylar *point of view*

"Oh Sky!" Cal shrieked in return. Jay looked perplexed but he sat in the back all quiet as usual. I wonder what makes him so quiet.

"How are you Cal?" She asked as they broke up their hug and sat down to buckle up.

"The same as before you left to be completely honest with you, Sky," He answered, turning to the window trying not to meet her disappointing gaze i guess. But she just looked at the floor as it was the most interesting thing in the world. The look on her face resembled guilt.

"Don't worry. I've been the same. Except way worse cause i didn't have you two," She mumbled to him. He reached over to her and slung his arm around her shoulders as best as he could with all the seat belts and everything. What did they do when they were kids together? I wonder how well they knew each other.

"Well this is depressing," Ashton giggled, his high pitch giggle in fact. The whole car cracked up at just his laugh and he turned red instantly.

"Oh pipe down everyone," He said jokingly. We continued to laugh and he just blasted the music all the way to the beach. I looked at Skylar through the mirror. She looked so much better than she did earlier when she had looked like she was just in this emotional car wreck. I still see some of the cloudiness in her eyes, but at least they weren't swollen and puffy like earlier. I wonder what happened and if she was okay now. As if she could read my thoughts, she met my gaze and gave me a reassuring smile.

Ashton drove for another 10 minutes with the music blaring, still since he thought we would tease him again. He pulled into the packed parking lot and started to drive around searching for a spot. He came across one only about 4 rows from the sand, which was great for a Friday that had no school. It was kind of windy out, which was nicer than it usually being a hot sticky day.

We raced down the beach to find an empty spot. There was some emptiness a little farther down and we laid our towels on the ground to 'mark our territory'. Everyone started to strip down to their bathing suits. Cal wore a green and yellow bathing suit. Ashton wore a blue and red bathing suit. Jay wore some dinosaur swimming trunks. And Skylar wore a navy blue and white bikini. I saw a couple of guys head turn but i glared at them and they backed away all while looking like complete idiots since they kept ripping over each other. I stripped down to my silver and black bathing suit after making sure no one else was looking.

As i turned around to face everyone Cal gave me a quizzical and suspicious look, but that turned into a smirk as he turned his back to me. I saw him go deep into his bag and took out something i knew all too well. His 'little white box of relievers' is what he called it. I turned away trying to hide the look of disappointment from my face. I hated seeing him smoke. I couldn't let Jay be around that so i turned to him and knelt down to his level as best as i could.

"C'mon Jay, want to go into the water?" I asked after Skylar lathered sunscreen on him. He smiled and ran over to me on his chubby little legs, and grasped onto my hand. He dragged me to the shallow part of the ocean. I scooped him up and went deeper so he could be in more. He giggled and splashed around in the water that was up to his waist. It was like up to my mid-shin, not even, because i'm a freaking giraffe compared to him.

Cal came in soon after and played around with Jay and I. Ashton and Skylar looked like they were in a deep conversation. I ripped my eyes away from Skylar and pulled my attention to Jay and Cal. Cal noticed me staring and smirked.

"What?" I furrowed my eyes together. I was seriously confused at this point. Cal kept on glancing between Skylar and I.

"Knew it," He answered my question. Well not really actually since i still had no clue as to what he is saying. He shook is head at me. He still had that stupid smirk on his face and i still had no idea why he was being this way.