Chapter 23

Ricky

*Flashback* 2 Hours Ago
"This isn't half bad," Nini jokes, stabbing another piece of bacon. "You know. You could've woken me up if I was asleep."
  "Yeah, but I don't want to wake someone who seemed like they were in a good a sleep." I reply, actually eating.
  "Seemed like they were in a good sleep? Alright there buddy."
"Buddy," I snort. "Miss hearing that.."
"You miss being called buddy?" She questions.
  "No. Being called buddy by you. It just seems more..I don't know? Natural? Hearing it from you."
She gives a little laugh before taking a sip of her orange juice. I admire the beautiful woman in front of me, but a phone call takes my eyes off of her and onto the screen.
"Sorry, I need to take this.." I say, grabbing my phone out of my pocket.
I walk into the living room and click accept.
"Hello?" I question.
"Hello. Is this Richard Bowen?" The man asks. I cringe at the name.
"Yes. Yes it is. Can I help you?"
"Yes. This is the Salt Lake City Police Department. Your father, or that's what I think he is, Micheal Bowen, is in custody and is waiting for trial."
"Sorry what!?" I shout, catching Nini's attention. I immediately give a fake smile towards her and hold out a hand. "Why is he there?"
"Hold on let me check." I hear shuffling in the background. "I- turns out. He's been charged with...assault and battery."
My heart drops. Fuck.
"Who..charged him..?" I ask quietly.
"I'm sorry, it doesn't say. Hold on, how old are you?"
"I'm 19, sir.."
"Your eligible to..help support your father with an attorney but I don't know if financially stable for that."
"I..I am sir...I just. Is it possible for me to visit him any time soon?"
Fuck Fuck Fuck FUCKED. That's what I am. Yes, I can provide...maybe half of an attorney, but why would I? Why am I concerned? Why am I surprised? I don't fucking know.
"Yeah...You can. I thought...nevermind. Look. You can come in around 2:30 tomorrow afternoon. Does that seem fine"
"Yeah..yeah. That's fine. Uh, thank you. For letting me know. Enjoy your day..sir."
"Same for you."
I hang up the phone. Immediately, I notice Nini looking at me, causing me to turn my head away from her as if I was looking around the place. My eyes did nothing but tear up.
I recollect myself before forcing a smile. I make my way back to Nini and sit down.
"Everything good?" She asks.
"Yeah. Heh, yeah I'm fine. Just, my mom. She was checking up on me. She gets..so worried about me." I say, chuckling.

We finish eating and I could do nothing but glance around and hope. Hope for what? I have no fucking clue.
Nini sits down on the couch as I clean everything up. I place the dishes aside and plan to wash them later, but if I'm going to be honest, that's probably not going to happen.
  "Do you want anything to drink?" I ask from across the room.
  "No. It's fine."
  I give a large sigh before grabbing a mug from the cabinet above the sink, which was weird to see since normally, cabinets don't hit you in the head when your washing dishes.
  I put the mug down before making my way to the fridge. The fridge was silver, and I didn't notice anything was in there till I opened it. It was already filled with every day things, except this one thing.
  "I'm going to regret this..." I tell myself quietly.

***

My head is killing me. I hold my head as I sit up from the couch. I slide my feet off the ouch and take a quick breath before looking at my watch. 2:34.
  "Shit..." I say quietly, burying my head in my hands. "Nini! Are you awake!?"
  I get no response.
  "Nini?!" I get up and merely fall over, but I gain enough iron in my body to stand up fully. I take one small step, allowing my eyes to drift to the broken pieces of..glass? On the floor.
  "The fuck?" I say as I stumble my way to Nini's room. Not meaning to, I push Nini's door open with much force.
  "Nini?" I moan, entering the room. "We need to go soon. C'mon.."
  I look at the empty room and immediately, my heart starts thumping. And fast. I shout Nini's name constantly, as I rush out of her room. I check the whole house, and no one was in sight.
  I make my way back to the living room, where the mess still remains. In confusion, I bend down and look at the liquid and broken glass laying on the floor. The smell caught my attention.

  "So what? Are you just not going to respond? Huh? I'd like a GOD DAMN ANSWER!"  

"Ricky. Can you put down the mug? Your...your scaring me."

"RICKY!"

  "Be lucky I didn't throw it at you."

  "Your fucking DELUSIONAL!"

"Then you can leave. I paid for this house, so you can leave it."

My breathing staggers. Fuck..what the hell did I just do. I get up and grab my phone off the couch and dial Nini's number. It rings 7 times before taking me to voice mail.
  "Hey! Nini? Nini? Listen. Please. Come back. I didn't know this could happen...or..or would happen but please." My breathing is fast and short. "Come back. Did I hurt you? Did I touch you? What did I do? Nini I'm sorry. Where are you?"
  I run to the window, voicemail still on. The trucks still here.
  "Where are you right now? I can come pick you up. A-and yes, I know you can't r-respond but call me back. Please!"
  I reluctantly end the phone voicemail before grabbing my keys. I shouldn't be driving but, alcohol can clear up quickly..right?!

I had to release this😂 Your guys comments were quite entertaining to read. I love hearing your guys opinion on my book, good or bad. I probably should've posted 4 chapters instead of making you guys wait. I apologize for that😂

Shoutout to:
@limvrxnce
@meerturtle
@jxc592
@quinn1246
@friscommunn9
&
@Butthead2676
For saving my story into their libraries!

Also, my writing has been weird lately, sorry😂
Shout out to @itz_lauryn and @mackenziexduncan
For being the comedic duo they are😁

Word Count: 1083