Healing.

(Long chapter)
Peeta's Pov:
It's been a week since we arrived in the Capitol. Today is when me and Katniss give the speech at the memorial. I was hoping we'd get through the speech without any tears, but that notion will be impossible to avoid, especially with Katniss pregnant.

As me and Katniss were walking to the car that took us to the parade centre, Haymitch stopped us in the middle of the corridor.

"I'll see you outside. I just need to grab something." He said running back to his room.

"Effie!" I shouted, as i spotted her trotting out the door.

"Ahhhh, I thought I was late. But it seems not." She said in her high-pitched voice.

We climbed into the car.

"Here are the cards with the speech you prepared." Effie said.

"Thank you." We both said in unison.

Haymitch climbed into the car.

As the car set off, I asked what he forgot.

"Oh, just my coat." He said.

—————
We arrived at the tribute parade centre. Before we even climbed the stairs to the top, you could hear people in the stands talking; Capitol citizens, all 13 districts, the rebels. Gale wouldn't be there though. I told him not to be there because he would get too Attached to Katniss.

Me made it to the top and seated ourselves down, just at the back of the stage.

"Welcome all of Panem. It is an honour to have you here. Today, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark will give a speech and say a few words to remember those we lost in the war. Please respect those who are grieving. Thank you." Commander Paylor said. I knew the last part was for the citizens of the Capitol, because they had no hearts.

President Paylor stood back from the podium and gestured me and Katniss to step up.

I grabbed Katniss' hand and we made our way to the podium.

As we stood up, Katniss let out a big sigh.

Covering the microphone, I whispered to her: "you'll be great."

She nodded muted from her shock and nerves.

Katniss' PoV: 
Peeta was incredibly nervous.
All eyes where on me and him. To the left of us were the rebels and most of the districts. To my right we're Capitol citizens, as they were all dressed in fur and stupid costumes they wore everyday. Next to them were a few other districts. There were at least 300,000 people; Too many for the size of the tribute parade location. Most of the people that couldn't sit down, stood up all the way to the circular line that touched the podium.

Peeta leaned in to the microphone and said: "Hello Panem. It's an honour to be here today. On behalf of President Paylor, Haymitch Abernathy and Effie Trinket, I'd like to thank everyone for helping to organise this.

"10 months ago the world was how it should be. Peace was formed. We had defeated Snow and nearly everything was fixed. Maybe the buildings, but not people. From mothers to fathers to siblings to grandparents to cousins to aunties and uncles, everyone has suffered some way or another. We all have. Grief needs time. Healing needs time. As much as I'd like to say 'it'll blow over', I know thats not true because when you loose someone so powerful in your life, it takes your whole life to grieve really. But our lives aren't just measured by time, they're measured by the people and lives that touch around us. You could go a century without someone you love, and you'd be thinking the whole time what You could have done with them.
When I think of memories with my father, I never think of the time we could have had or the times I could have spent with him instead of reading or pottering around, I think of the times we had together as father and son when he was alive.
We have all suffered loss, but together we can heal. It goes without saying that without everyone, and most importantly the deceased, we wouldn't be standing here today as a free Panem. Especially without the brave souls of what the past bought, we wouldn't know peace. They gave up their lives to help everybody else and we, I, couldn't be more grateful.
When I raise my child, in a few weeks, I will inform them of the games when they're older and how Panem was formed with strength and ability, but most of all healing. Although they were awful and despicable, those Games thought me to cherish everyday. They taught me that healing was the only option.
Form the bottom of my heart, I'd like to send my love and gratitude to the deceased and you people here today for not only being brave with leading a rebellion, but for never giving up. We will remember them."

Peeta stepped away from the podium slightly. It was now my turn to equally match the most empowering and beautiful speech Peeta gave.

My heart was thumping, so scared it might hop out. I took a deep breath and remembered, these people know  me.

I inched closely to the microphone, just staring at all of the people. Their eyes on mine; some on my stomach.

"I'm not going to pretend that I'm nervous, because I am. But I have to remember that I know nearly all of you. Not personally, but I know you're hearts and the sporadic emotions they're feelings. You don't know wether to feel relived, sad, happy or even confused. But let me promise you this, we have all suffered loss. We will mend together. As one." I paused for a moment.

"I remember when I buried Rue, from District 11. She left a place in my heart, brain and entire body that I will never forget. She wasn't just my ally, she was my friend. I see her in the meadow that sits beside my house. I picture her in my sister Prim. They matched perfectly. Knowing that i will now never see them again, I want to remember that they died for us. Yes Rue died in those stupid stupid and incredibly pointless games, but she reminded me that the simple things can make you happy. Her innocence taught me that murdering the enemy was essential. I will never forget her bravery that she taught me to lead an army to lead themselves into a rebellion.
From the rebels to each district, I never led the rebellion, you did.
Let us remember the people who gave up their lives. Who let us live in peace. Thank you." As I stopped talking, I kissed my three fingers and raised them in the air.

Suddenly, all of Panem followed me. Even Capitol citizens. In unison, just like a mockingjay, they whistled the four notes of Rue's audio.

Over 300,00 people saluted to not just me, but to people in the sky above.

Walking off the podium, me and Peeta made our way to the top of the stairs so we could go back to our room.

Effie and Haymitch followed.
"Well done. That was beautiful." Haymitch said to us both.

"Thank you." We both said in unison.

As we peered the bottom of the steps, I encountered a pain as if 10,000 knives were stabbing me...