Chapter 2

happy new year everyone!! sorry about the long chapter...hope you like it

-------------------------

       Archie sat in his car, parked at a distance from his street, he still hadn't returned home. He sat there looking blank yet sighing every now and then when his emotions rushed his mind, he closed his eyes to relax but the memory of that evening and the feeling he felt kept coming back fresh.

FB***

         Betty knocked on Archie's room and opened before hearing a reply, she peeped in to see Archie holding his bag and doing something. She cleared her throat "Hey Arch!" she announced but stood at the door itself, Archie gazed up for a second. Betty saw that he was unloading what looked like dirty clothes from his bag "Hey Betty! Come in, since when did you need to knock to come in" he asked casually still engrossed in his bag. Betty carefully walked in "I don't know...you tell me Arch..." Archie looked at Betty at her comment while she was staring at him intensely.

         Archie instantly knew what she meant and turned towards his bag again trying to avoid her gaze, leaving the question un-answered. She took a few steps forward again "What are you doing Arch?" she asked directly. "What?" he answered sounding casually; Betty sighed in irritation "You walked in, took one look at your mom and whooshed inside!"

   Archie looked at Betty, "I called her in the morning Betty!" he answered trying to brush it off as a simple matter. "So?" Betty asked in nonchalant tone that made him question his own reasons. Archie feeling scrutinized under her gaze and tone "Look I have a lot going on at the community centre Betty" he answered in a hurried and irritated tone and returned to emptying his bag.

       Betty remained silent for few seconds, making Archie tense. She finally spoke "What happened to you Arch?...do you even hear yourself" the weight in her voice momentarily distracted Archie, he closed his eyes to calm himself. "Now is not a good time Betty!" he tried to answer it calmly but it still came out as a warning.

      "Why not? Mr. Jones said the people who were harassing the kids left town or arrested and there were no immediate threats? Then why are you still there?" Betty asked in her firm voice, she had already decided that she was not leaving until she got a clear answer from him.

        The last straw snapped, Archie throw the bag on the floor "I'm trying to protect the community centre Betty...it's suppose to honour my father...the boys are scared...of me...I'm trying my best here Betty!!" he screamed. Betty finally saw Archie's face...closer this time, it was covered with bruises some looked old but some looked new, and she instinctively moved towards him and reached her hand to touch the wound. This time he didn't move, this time she saw a teary-eyed Archie who looked confused and angry at the same time.

          Betty's heart broke at the state he was standing in front of her; she couldn't believe she didn't notice the pain he was feeling all this time. "My god Arch...what's been happening to you?" Betty asked almost in tears, Archie tried to move away but Betty held him by his jacket. "It's nothing Betty" Archie tried to calm himself and get out of Betty's grip. But Betty grabbed him harder; with both her hands "I'm not blind Archie...at least not now!!" she said caressing his wounds with one hand while the other was still having a strong hold of him.

        She knew how much Mr. Andrew's death affected Archie, but to the point of him hurting this much was killing her. It hurt her more that she was oblivious of this all this while, they were supposed to be best friends but she couldn't tell when that changed or if it changed. She wished she could have noticed it before. Loosening her grip, she held Archie's hand "Arch, I understand what you're going through but..." Archie immediately pulled his hand from hers in anger.